How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Allow users to close tasks running in the background

This could just be an "x" in the corner of the "card" of the task in the multi-tasking screen (much like how you close a tab in IE). Having to enter the application and pressing back seems unnecessary.

763 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kevin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
We heard you  ·  Cliff Simpkins responded  · 

As comments in the suggestion note, the apps in the task switcher aren’t actually running – they just haven’t been fully tombstoned.

71 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • harrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those who think this is implemented, it isn't.

Open Xbox Music, play a track, go to the Start Screen, invoke the task switcher, close Xbox Music.. it still runs. Same happens with any app that runs in background.

I'm using Lumia 830.

• Muhammed BAYKAL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As being an veteran IPhone user who just switched to windows-phone8, we should definitely be able to slide down any item in the task switcher and close the application completely, instead of the application is staying in the background as tombstone mode.

• Emiliano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the reason to close an app easy and fast with an x button in task manager are:

- cleaner multitask screen, with only apps needed

- avoid that the system will close an app that you need for fast resume, when you open a new app

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, If you want to close an app for sure, just select it from the list and hit the back button until the start screen is displayed.

Since there is no real reason to close apps, this will do for now.

• Emiliano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with comments, I can understand that apps aren't actually running, but it will be still useful, for example:

- we can have 5 apps in the task manager
    - i want to open a new app
    - I want decide what app close form task manger, not one random decided by OS

so i really can ave apple that i need for fast resuming in the task manger

I hope that I was clear enough

• John Gardner (Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you should revisit this, now that Win8 has a gesture (drag from top to bottom) to close apps. Win8 has a very similar suspend/etc behavior and yet they allow you to decide and explicitly manage and close running apps.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should be able to kill an app even if it's programmed into the unit. Especially when it malfunctions.

• phildaub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dont like the idea, would downvote if I could. Simply because if there existed a small 'x' in the task switcher view, people would get the impression that the apps are running in the background and they need to close them. They would get used to a workflow where they are opening an app, go to the task switcher and close them, open the next one, close it again and so on... It could result in a totally unnecessary workflow and bad user experience for some people.

In the current situation however, people are wondering why there is no close button, ask someone or search the internet and learn that the task switcher is just a convenient way to reactivate tombstoned (not running!) apps. This way they arent lead into temptation to wanting to close each and every app.

• Totolicious commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problems described by Lucian & Eron, so yeah, let me close my applications if I want to. As far as IE goes (<<"back" is "back", not "exit">>), I just keep spamming the "back" button, which is actually not a very good user experience.

• Lucian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote for this from an user perspective, the current app closing paradigm is broken when you end-up in the browser, where "back" is "back", not "exit", and so many sites are designed not to allow you to go back (or you simply run into a redirect that pushes you forward) which means that getting out of the browser "the normal way" is rather impossible.

By definition multitasking should mean that I can fully control my tasks, including closing them when no longer needed.

• Eron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't. I think an option to close apps is valid when we don't want to show the last used apps, when we borrow our phone to a friend, to show how good it is. For example: If you open an app that show your personal notes, when you hold the back button and go to other apps, the multitask screen will show the apps that you used with your personal notes inside. So, It isn't about CPU consume, Its about privacy.

• Vinicius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WP7 apps get suspended when the app is not in foreground, and eventually closed. And apps in the background doesn't consume CPU. There is no need for this feature.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base