How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Allow updating of private beta applications

During development of WP7 applications I try to get my testers involved as early as possible. I usually provide them with regular updates when new functionality becomes available, unfortunately currently updating is not supported although the infrastructure is in place for public apps anyway.

205 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom VerhoeffTom Verhoeff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Beta win store app, publish procedure  ·   · 
    S.KizanlikS.Kizanlik shared a merged idea: Allow beta to release  ·   · 
    WP7 Rulez :-)WP7 Rulez :-) shared a merged idea: Allow real submission to use the same name as a previously submitted beta.  ·   · 

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we publish on the store in the same manner as for the phone now? Do you have the beta option and hidden from store so we easily can Target our LOB customers.

• NielsNiels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definately a must, I have been looking for this button, couldn't find it! This should be standard procedure for all apps, including Windows 8. First publish as beta (or even alpha), with the possibility to update the store listing and review it in the real store. Then promote app to release/production from there. This wil definately improve overall app- and store quality. Now I have to resubmit/reenter the whole store listing with the chance of typos, etc.

• S.KizanlikS.Kizanlik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When an application is cooked, it needs to be re-published as release version in DevCentre. A one-click "publish as release" would be useful for developers.

• Cd4017Cd4017 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May be the beta submission should have their name automatically extended with the word "beta".

• Peter LowePeter Lowe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has got to better for everyone rather than submitting several beta apps to reflect the current build, keep the original expiry date. (ignore cynical comment: unless Microsoft adds the count of beta apps to the App total for marketing purposes)

• Azzam AzizAzzam Aziz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea will be a good feature for the app market and it would increase the flow of apps for developers and bring more developers to MS Mobile OS.

• WP7 Rulez :-)WP7 Rulez :-) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now app names need to be unique, this includes beta apps. For one thing this could allow people to remove names from the Marketplace, the other hassle is that currently beta apps should be named "[real-name] beta". I have read about this requirement after the fact and apparently destroyed an app name with this (needless to say that were websites and other platforms involved as well)

• EShyEShy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this feature is annoying to the testers and you end up with a long list of beta apps for each version. The fact that this feature exists but just not enabled, makes it worse

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base