How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Real device backup and restore functionality

I would like an experience more similar to the iTunes/iOS backup/restore.

If something goes wrong with my device and I hard reset or receive a replacement, I want to be able to simply plug it into my computer (or better yet, sign in with my live id) and have the option to restore *ALL* the data, apps and settings.

598 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ducasducas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    RuslanRuslan shared a merged idea: Allow to restore to the different/new device. Include Email accounts setting into the Backup.  ·   · 
    RickyRicky shared a merged idea: 3. Backup APP setting and OS settings so user can quickly restore from factory reset  ·   · 

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RuslanRuslan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) Please add an option to Restore to the different Windows Phone 8 device (at lease for some option that manufacture independent). Why not??
        2) Store email account settings into the Backup. Some of us are use multiple email accounts on or phones.

Both functionalities will be a BIGEST time savers when people need to change their devices.

• LennyLenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to migrate from WP 7.x to WP 8 is a requirement. If this isn't possible then I might as well just buy an iPhone or Android as I can't migrate my data with these either.

• Cliff SimpkinsAdminCliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@efemes: I updated the SMS one to 'under review' because of the API specificness of the request. This one is a consumer suggestion, and that consumer aspect of the request has been implemented in WP8.

@efemes / @Trooper / @John Gardner: While we can definitely contemplate the completeness of the request (app data) - that's actually a much bigger discussion topic/request than this one. Very similar to the Native request here, the discussion of data becomes a conversation around how far do you want to go on app data being backed up and is more an analog conversation (settings only, full data, or some click-stop in between) than a digital yes/no one.

And, to that end, I don't believe that the team would offer a full isolated storage backup of all apps...in some situations (e.g., GPS app with offline maps, audio/video apps with offline storage, etc.), the iso store could be waaaaay to big.

I see that Trooper created a new backup/restore suggestion, but I would suggest really focusing down to changes that you (as a DEVELOPER) would like to see made in the developer platform to support your apps and games. Increasing the focus of the requests helps reduce vague responses. :)

• RuslanRuslan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s so painful to setup multiple email accounts every time you switch devices. Why not to store these settings into the Backup?

• TrooperTrooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with John Gardner. If we compare it with Android's Titanium Backup application, which backups from any Android device and restore (on any other Android device) with settings/configuratins and data and sync it on the cloud (Dropbox and Google Drive), the backup and restore in Windows Phone 8 is very basic (only provides pictures, videos, text-messages etc). Please provide us this feature so we can backup & restore the all or individual apps on multiple devices with setting and app-data.

• BjörnAxellBjörnAxell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to hear that you added it to WP8 but I really hope you also added it to WP7.8 so we can migrate easy since you don't support uppgradring the OS.

• John Gardner (Microsoft)John Gardner (Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cliff, can you give details of where, how exactly this is implemented? Because the cloud based things I've seen don't restore *ALL* the data as the request asked for. Settings, yes. Apps, yes. But app data appears to be NO. It appears to me that each individual app must be updated to implement its own Skydrive based backup and restore?

• ottone62ottone62 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the moment when ther's an OS up grade WP7 does a real Back up, so I Think, you'allraedy have it , pls make possible to have it as a std .

• Cd4017Cd4017 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this feature on my old pda this was great: each time i replaced the device everything was automatically restored

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got to give this 3 votes. Have now been reinstalling apps through the windows phone website for over an hour and the downloading through messaging just stopped working. Now having to follow links in an email for every app!!! This sucks big time!!!

It's bad enough accepting that I've lost the progress on all my games but the fact I have to go through a list of every app I've ever downloaded (that also includes trial's along with purchases) is really just awful.

• SupacSupac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

another are you kidding me? windows phone dont have this capability? and you try to compete with iphone

• Code-iXCode-iX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very good idea, BUT dont restrict it to one device. when i just bought the lumia i had to copy all settings and apps by hand from the mozart. i am afraid of next wp7 change.

• Gennady BoltvinGennady Boltvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need functional OS and phone, which will make any my wishlist. I WANT CONTROL MY PHONE! And I Move GO to Android, because Windows Phone 7 OS IS NOT give full freedom for me. People, which development OS WP7 is stupid dev, because NOT understand this idea – IDEA for full control and freedom work with phone. If dev cant understand it simple IDEA – WP7 will be epic fail on market. I threw in the траш box now my HTC HD7… because WP7 is not a modern OS, it back become a thing of the past (at 2005 year or old).

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base