How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

SwipeControl should support mouse input

The SwipeControl control should support mouse input as well as touch input. Currently it only supports touch input.

I appreciate that swipe controls have come out of developments around touch interfaces. However on a platform that allows for a single app to run on both desktop and touch devices I think that users will be expecting to be able to interact with the app in similar ways across devices.

Microsoft have set precedent for this in their own apps. Outlook for example utilises a SwipeControl type arrangement (that can be interacted with using a mouse) for marking emails as read or unread (among other things). I personally would like to be able to have a similar arrangement in my own apps, but currently am unable to do so.

17 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt P shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SwipeControl seems kind of broken.
        If you use the trackpad of the Surfacebook and scroll vertically through a list, it just randomly activates Swipe on elemets without interaction. It even happens in the XAML Gallery app. Hope the old SlidableListItem will not be replaced soon.

• Pinox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, totally crazy form MS. Consequence is that you also can't test your apps (swipe action) on the desktop anymore (in development). I use the old swipe control from UWPtoolkit but they also want do deprecate this as the new MS swipe control replaces it, but sadly without the desktop swipe functionality.

The proponents of no swipe say, use a context menu, but the context menu takes twice the time and it's way less efficient even on the desktop. Much easier and faster to swipe with the mouse, that click-through menu's

Feedback and Knowledge Base