How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

No user-consent prompt on first run of broadFileSystemAccess-capable UWP app

When running an app which requires broadFileSystemAccess capabilities, no user-consent prompt appears on the first use. Instead, the app crashes with a System.UnauthorizedAccessException. Going into Settings to enable this privacy permission prevents the crash, and the app works normally. However, there is no prompt to enable this permission as described in the docs.

13 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Luke Blevins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working on it. We are working on updating docs and adding in the prompt like other restricted items.

A code pattern like this should be a way to catch this scenario.
{
StorageFolder folder = await StorageFolder.GetFolderFromPathAsync(@"C:\Foo");
}
catch(Exception)
{
// prompt user for what action they should do then launch below
// suggestion could be a message prompt
await Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(new Uri(“ms-settings:appsfeatures-app”));
}

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • mobilewares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

.. also on (2) mentioned below - the other weird thing is in the App Settings page, the FileSystem access actually says it's Enabled in settings page. I have to toggle it off and then back on (in which case 1 happens - the App closes).

• mobilewares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi - the behaviour of this (in 1809) is also a bit strange - have noticed the following when trying to use it here when developing/debugging an App that requires it.

1) Going into settings for that App and manually enabling the FileSystem Access switch closes the running App immediately. Then if I relaunch the App that setting kicks in.

2) While I'm working on the app (and debugging it), every few hours (not sure of exact interval) - this previously enabled switch is set to off again and I have to go through above process again to enable it.

Also the ms-settings launch URI suggested isn't great as it just takes you into Apps & Features rather than the settings page for that specific app (and then you have to find the app etc). Is there a way to navigate directly to the settings page for the App itself?

Feedback and Knowledge Base