How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Enable Scanning Barcodes with Camera Lens

Generalizing request of supporting QR Codes camera to reading any barcode with the camera lens.

52 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paras shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • liero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about new VideoEffect simmilar to FaceDetectionEffect resp SceneAnalysisEffect in UWP: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/audio-video-camera/scene-analysis-for-media-capture
        var definition = new QrCodeDetectionEffectDefinition();
        _qrCodeDetectionEffect = (QrCodeDetectionEffect)await _mediaCapture.AddVideoEffectAsync(definition, MediaStreamType.VideoPreview);
        _qrCodeDetectionEffect .DesiredDetectionInterval = TimeSpan.FromMilliseconds(33);

// Start detecting qr codes
        _qrCodeDetectionEffect.Enabled = true;
        _qrCodeDetectionEffect.FaceDetected += QrCodeDetectionEffect_FaceDetected;

private void QrCodeDetectionEffect_FaceDetected(QrCodeDetectionEffect sender, QrDetectedEventArgs args)
        {
        foreach (Windows.Media.VideoAnalysis.DetectedCode qrCode in args.ResultFrame.DetectedCodes)
        {
        BitmapBounds qrCodeRect = qrCode.FaceBox;
        // Draw a rectangle on the preview stream for each qrCodeRect
        }
        }

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was sort of possible for a while to use the camera on mobile as the POS barcode device. It did not support video preview, but it did work and was very fast and accurate. Please re-enable the ability in mobile, and if possible allow preview to work too.

• Uzair Sajid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An API to access the Bing Vision feature of the phone would be great. I work on an app that needs to scan objects like Barcodes and QR Codes and using 3rd party libraries is really slow, specially when there is an excellent scanner built in the phone.

Any way to leverage the built in Bing Vision (as a Task or maybe a Control for instance) would be great and reduce the complexity for building apps that need object scanning.

• Claude Vernier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, thank you for this site. I was very happy to be able to scan barcodes from the search button and I would like to use this in my application. I can see two ways of accessing the barcode scan.

From the search button as it is right now, user scans a bar code, sees the output of the search where he can tap on the icon of the decoded barcode and could be given the choice of an application who can use such information.

The application would receive the decoded information and also, information about the barcode as the type etc...

The other way would be to invoke the scanner from my application as for the web search. User opens my application, click a button, Visual Search gets opened, users scan a barcode, clicks on the thumbnail result and is redirected to my application with information on the code.

Is it a good idea ?
        Thank you very much, great phone !
        :-)

Feedback and Knowledge Base