How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

API for Direct phone interaction [dialing, sending/answering, replying/recording, playing to, hooking up/filtering Phone call]

Without these APIs, PC and Phone are losing features event had existed in pre-internet age and becoming backward.

When a feature is useful and eases user's pain of doing monotone taping, the security excuse seems a red herring; you can always find a way to do it and there were/are devices could/can do it, why not the Windows Phone, because Apple doesn’t do it?

583 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

naturalwalker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Vladislav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even phone calls history is under restricted capabilities (while in documentation it is under general) which means no alternatives to internal phone app

• Gerben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is normally provided via GATT server, which Microsoft doesn't support.

• Jacek Blaszczynski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any comment on this issue from MSFT - seems to be quite obvious for several scenarios particularly for enterprise and IoT apps

• Sohail Hirani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Universal SMS API in windows 10 can be used to send and receive SMS. Here is the link for the sample application: https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/SmsSendAndReceive . It requires capability "cellularMessaging" to be included in the application manifest. While verifying the changes check if the device is unlocked: https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/xaml/dn706236.aspx.

• M.Amin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are some mobile banking apps available on iOS and Android which can communicate using SMS.
    Windows Phone is the only one which doesn't support.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add to this API calls that allow an app to hook into the phone earpiece to play audio. Use case would be things like third party voicemail apps, which presently have to play audio via the phone's speaker for everyone to hear, or require the use of a headset which a user might not always have with them.

• Rafael Mora Trejos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Create an API so developers can create apps to measure the SMS and calls consumption according to the plans they have with their carriers. The ability to raise a new event whenever the user finishes a call reporting the call duration in seconds and another event whenever the user sends an SMS reporting the length of the SMS would be very nice to develop custom apps for users to control their voice minutes and SMS limits.

• silentapp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

need api for access to calling voice, cases:
    1. switchboard
    2. call recording
    3. receive fax

• Luis Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK, BUT.... I want a list of those allowed apps in my settings, so I can turn them on or off...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really miss the amazing feature on WP to quickly search your contacts (in a T9 fashioned way), when wanting to find and dial a number.

Procedure to search for a number on WP today:
    open dialer -> searchbutton -> full keyboard input -> contact not in dialinglist? -> 2x backbutton -> contactlist button -> searchbutton -> full keyboard input -> pick number/contact

Procedure in the Future (and similar on Android):
    open dialer -> push dailpadbutton -> dial "5674" (josh) -> pick number/contact

• Gavin Greenwalt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Another use case would be an app for archiving text messages or syncing SMS to a cloud notification system. Imagine your texts being forwarded to your email from your phone for instance.

• 洪聿昕 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great point! That's why there is no caller ID app in Windows Phone platform. For fear of malware app, I think the better way is to let company account developer to access those function.

• Lefteris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With Windows Phone 8.1 you gave developers the ability to integrate their apps to People hub, allowing them to change the default Social Network, post status updates, share content with the Calendar app as also as the ability to develop a 3rd party video-call app. I think it would be great if you gave access to the phone's calling and texting features, something that would allow development of 3rd party dialers, SMS apps etc.

• Martin Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As long as these APIs can only be performed by a user's actions, and any confirmation message, then the more apps can have access to phone capabilities the better.

I DO NOT WANT apps to be able to do anything with my phone calls, or telephony without my knowledge and consent.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a phone, hear and function called main, so I need the driver API and identify the data "call", "Recording", ...
    For example: Get the phone number to call to display information based on the number of phone customers, prepare for new sales transactions over the phone.

• Jorge Pedraza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to put something like Microsoft.WindowsMobile.status on the development of your Windows phone 7.1?

Purpose: Events related to: When one phone call starts and ends. also something for SMS. This is for perform any action on background!

Feedback and Knowledge Base