How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Fight spam/fraud apps more aggresively

There are several developers using dishonest methods to boost their apps, including fake ratings. Those apps are as good as useless to consumers (cheap website wrappers etc.) and still have dozens of maximum ratings shortly after being released. Those apps get ranked high in the listings and take away the place of the few others that actually are good.

Reporting usually takes several days or more than one week until something actually happens. Also, I've heard that MS just warns those devs, but even lets them keep obvious fake max ratings. This just makes me angry as a serious developer!

Suggestion: Introduce a system with "trusted" developers who can release apps as quick and easy as it is now. New ones should still need manual review by MS employees like it used to be at WP7 times.

And in the case of a dev found to break the rules, ban them completely. Of course they can come back, but they'll have to re-pay the registration fee again, and when being banned again every week, it won't pay out for them anymore.

I think that users start to notice that app quality in the store actually counts more than quantity, and that's where WP could outperform Android and/or iOS in the future.

322 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bill HillBill Hill shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are some devs that are making multiple Windows Store accounts to spam the same repackaged apps. This is unfair to devs and cheapens the Windows Store experience. For instance the following dev accounts have the same apps spammed under multiple accounts:

Maajio Dev
        Box Team
        Dopeware Labs
        Yemba Dev
        Wamba Dev

All of the above accounts are the same developer. The apps all go to the same facebook page. I have reported this and nothing has been done about it. Should I just assume that spamming multiple apps is ok and do the same in order to compete? Why can't Microsoft shut down all the extraneous accounts?

• PayshiehPayshieh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. There are also many apps that are repetitive. App quality is more solid than app quantity. Having set a solid foundation in the app store is what will actually keep users engaged. I believe users would want to see more practical use of a good app compared to seeing numerous non-beneficial apps. I hope to one day see Microsoft offer more commercial apps working with grocery stores, coffee shops, pharmacy, retail stores, etc.

• D.ClarkD.Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was going to suggest giving each user their own personal "ban list" to blacklist publishers they don't personally want to see anymore, but that's probably something only a few of the more savvy phone users would actually discover and use. I think I have to agree with the OP that a more rigorous screening during the certification process to prevent these apps getting published in the first place is the only thing that will really work.

• D.ClarkD.Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate working for months to make a quality app that actually does something only to see it pushed down the New list by bulk-published do-nothing app clones.

They aren't even trying to be stealthy about it because they know nobody's looking. You can easily spot a dozen cloned app icons in a row in some marketplace listings.

It's bad for devs, and it's bad for non-dev people browsing for apps. It makes the marketplace look like a city landfill.

• aschettleraschettler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The amount of spam applications, apps that are split out into several regions (i.e.: MyTranspo series), the ridiculous feed readers for all different musicians and whatnot, single book applications, and do-nothing apps (i.e.: the stuff published by "Eric_rulz")... This is just absolutely ridiculous. You already promised to take care of this, but it didn't work. We've still useless applications flooding the Marketplace, and there are no signs of it slowing. I believe that, instead of limiting the amount of certifications per user per day, the Marketplace should be a little better curated. Spam applications should not be approved. They should never pass certification, and should never be published. Bulk publishers should be made to consolidate their apps, and the rest should not pass.

Feedback and Knowledge Base