How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Add real-time data roaming to allow Apple Continuity-like scenarios

I know that there is RoamingData and there even is this "HighPriority" entry that you can use for "quickly" roaming app data. However, even the HighPriority data typically takes at least one minute to roam to other devices. This is way too slow, data needs to arrive within few seconds. With Apple fronting Continuity, we need a simple way to do the same on the Windows platform to be able to compete!

I know that it is possible to use raw push notification and an azure server with PNS to achieve the same. But setting this up is a lot of work, handling authentication, targeting the notifications to just the specific users,... After hours of searching I have not found an example that handles this complete scenario in Azure. Also, the user either has to login or give his consent when using his windows login.

This could be so much easier if you either make the HighPriority roaming faster or add a different way to quickly roam data to the other devices of the user, directly accessible from the Windows API. A lot more apps would make use of this if it was just easier, and soon Windows Apps would catch up with latest Apple Apps with regards to Continuity (which is a gret concept!).

I understand that you would need to restrict the amount of traffic on this, which is ok. It would be sufficient to only send updates on certain points, e.g. app getting suspended, video or music getting paused,... So the amount of data and amount of requests per time could be limited, with updates getting delayed if the app sends too many updates in a short time. But for apps that make resonable use of this, near-instant data roaming should be possible!

5 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lukas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →