How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Provide fix for c101a7d1 when updating, 80004005 when installing, license reset on reinstall

Microsoft Support recommended me to post the issue here. There seems to be a long-standing serious issue with the Store (or possibly the dev portal) which needs to be addressed urgently. There's a history of apps affected by this issue and possibly more apps to be affected in the future if the issue goes unfixed.

The problem starts after a certain app update. The symptoms are as stated in the title. Certain users who had installed the app prior to the problematic update are affected. Fresh users are not affected by this issue. While it is possible to reinstall the app via windowsphone.com, users who had previously owned the app now lost their license. These users are now required to buy the app again to own the app.

Speculation: It appears to me that the Store is seeing the update as a "new" app and therefore the original certificate is no longer recognized -- thereby triggering the symptoms above.

Please implement a permanent fix to the relevant back-end systems. Also, we need a supplementary fix to the issues faced by existing affected users without resorting them to contacting Microsoft customer support to restore their purchase by way of adding credit to re-purchase the app. The issue gets complicated when the users owned the app via a free promo and Support may not be willing to restore the purchase using this method.

Feel free to contact me if further info is required. Thank you.

310 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jason Ong shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Manni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since 2 Years I used "Run.GPS", and now appeared this "c101a7d1" -Code. First attempts led to running in circles. Then deleted the APP, to Reinstall it, and now I have nothing.
        Once upon a time... Content Customers had priority.
        And now M.S. in Germany is only the short form for Micro.Schrott.

• Fiorenzo Formichi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the "ultimate converter" app but since it is no longer free I am not able to get updates. I also changed mobile so I'am not able to get the app even if I would pay for it because Windows doesn't permit the download

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, what has happened till today? Has microsoft solved this issue yet? I believe it's almost 1 year already and still not solve yet... Why?

I am in contact with a support member from MS and yes: This problem cannot and will not be solved for WP 8.x.
        This makes me quite angry since after all MS takes 30% of app revenue for providing the store infrastructure. Now this store has a major bug but it does not get fixed.
        This also means: My app will continue to get bad ratings because of a store problem that has nothing to do with the app itself and I will have to continue answering emails from angry users that are complaining to me that they cannot update the app. :(
        So that’s how the world’s largest tech company handles problems.

• Dino Borogovac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, i have found out something useful regarding this case. On my purchase history at commerce.microsoft.com i see apps that have 0$ value so Microsoft bills them now! This is the right way to do because this error above happend to be caused by not billing apps that where downloaded for free then got paid. Where the Store searched for the billing entry and didnt find it (of course!). Now we have billed items on the purchase history like it hsould be from day 1! paid items and free items are there and i think this issue will be resolved with Windows 10 Mobile because i see free apps there but just apps that i have downloaded with my Windows 10 Mobile device.

So i think we will not have this resolved on WP8.1 and have to wait until Windows 10 Mobile.

I am the developer of "Week View" and today I got an email according to this problem from MS Support:
        Thank you for your patience throughout this process. I wanted to let you know that we have completed our investigation. In order for users to be able to update or re-install the app they will need to back up their phone and reset to factory defaults. Users should contact consumer support, if they need assistance backing up their data and then resetting their phones, as this is not a developer issue. Some data may be lost even if the phone is backed up so users should take this into consideration before resetting their phones. Please let me know if you have any questions over this.

Yes, the suggestion by MS is to tell users to hard-reset their phone...after 3 months of investigation. Nothing more to say here...of course this will not work this way, we all know this. Users will see an update notifcation on the marketplace tile, try to installt the update which fails and of course will NOT try a hard reset.
        Details about the problem are described on my blog: http://www.hannesbiribauer.com

• Dino Borogovac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is still not fixed even if it was promissed to be within one week, this was 3 months ago. Im losing my patience and i will not support Windows Phone as developer further till this is fixed. I dont want to explain t oa lot of users why they have issues with the store, this is not my task here. My task is to make great apps, publish them - Microsofts task is to maintain the store and its funcionality.

You are causing a lot of grief tor your customers with this stupid error where licenses get
        reset. Put someone competent on it to fix this and stop pointing fingers at the developers.
        They cannot alleviate this problem because it is not their problem - it's your problem. I wonder what Satya Nadella would say if he were aware of this long long ongoing Problem
        with the store that never gets fixed. MAALOO Outdoor in my case. Store Error - 80004005

still no change for me...

along with the new android-design of windows 10, I hardly think about to give up my fight for windows phone and M/S ... and change the platform to android (S6 edge)...

• Efthymios Kalyviotis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow!!!
        Microsoft is becoming really insulting! Their partners are loosing hundreds of euros (or USDs, etc.) because of this issue and they are trying to make it up to them by offering them store credits or music subscription or Live subscription.

I really wonder. Which company would accept such a huge insult by Microsoft?

same problem here w/ week view - since feb. 20th!!!

developer is not guilty for that problem.

tried all suggested solutions, nothing works. what a ****!!!

unbelievable microsoft...

• Arman Keyvannia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had installed PocketFileManager when it was free but to reinstall it againe I get this error 80004005 constantly. tanx

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base