How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

GATT Server API

Provide a GATT Server funtionality over BLE connection (just like Android >= 4.3) so that devices that work as GATT client can be used with WindowsPhone. For now WindowsPhone 8.1 only provides GATT client.

596 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Petri LipponenPetri Lipponen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Ehad AkeilaEhad Akeila shared a merged idea: Accessory App API access  ·   · 
    working on it  ·  Clint Rutkas [MSFT]AdminClint Rutkas [MSFT] (Admin, Windows Developer) responded  · 

The Bluetooth team is hard at work adding GATT Server APIs to Windows and we expect GATT Server should be in the Windows Insider Preview builds and SDK later this year. When APIs get added in to the OS and SDK, any developer can start updating their app. Once the next release of Windows is available, any app that want to use these new features will be able submit an update to the Store.

102 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MariaMaria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New Fitbit, discovered no notifications after purchase. This long time Windows phone user has reached her breaking point. All the benefits of a Windows phone have been avalanched by the YEARS of being disappointed with not having the apps that make having the convenience of a smart phone so great. It took years just to get a activity tracker that would pair with a Windows phone and now this, another function I have to do without. I am also now having issues with the mail app and Outlook syncing, which has not happened in the past. So in addition to the many other apps I do without, and now dealing with the new Outlook sync issue (hugh deal), instead of switching trackers, I'm going to switch phones next time my contract is up. All this after years if being a devoted Windows user and promoter. I realize that folks are probably truly working ******* this, but no results after years is too long to wait. If Windows can't see this issue as a huge problem, or put the extra people power on this to help get to a solution, I can't put my heart and hope into it anymore. If you don't have apps, let alone apps that work on multiple devices, what's the point?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, you do realize they will never support Windows Phone 8.x... they talk about the Windows 10 platform...

I have a HTC 8x 8.1 carrier locked, but I'm pretty sure my chances are as null as Lumina owners.

Just move on. When I exercice, I use my Fitbit Charge 2 with a unlocked no carrier Nexus 5 that I got on ebay until my lovely HTC 8x Win8.1 dies or disappears.

You are going to lose this hardcore Microsoft user if Microsoft cannot keep up. You are a multi-billion dollar company. Please get your act together.

• Mikel GMikel G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good news!

Windows 10 SDK Preview Build 14965 has been released yesterday.
        This build includes the APIs for GATT server functionality in order to start working with Developers Community.

See attached a link with all details, posted by Clint Rutkas in Windows 10 developers blog.

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/11/21/windows-10-sdk-preview-build-14965-released/#9wMZLkTrZVbaftf4.97

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Clint, Firstly, thank you for engaging in this thread; I can appreciate how hard it could feel reading to some of the entries written in this thread, particularly if you're working ******* the feature, and it's not your fault that a feature is not ready.

I am a windows 950XL user (really love my phone), and I would like GATT server for my fitbit blaze (really love my fitbit).

I know that an offer of help is more common place in the open source universe, but if there is anything that I can do to help you and your team implement the GATT server on windows mobile, please let me know.

Hope you have a good weekend

I think they should be ready in at least 6 weeks because then is end of the year ;-)
        I can't believe that they working over years on one functionality. So it seams that it have no priority and all users should decide what mobile phone is the next. At the moment I will not buy a windows 10 mobile phone again.

• Robin587Robin587 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clint, "we're working on it" has been the stock message for many months now. You can not expect people to be satisfied with the same repeated response. When is the proposed end date?

• GlenGlen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

any updates on this? it started with a 2015 post for windows 8.1 its now November 2016 almost 2017 and we are on windows 10? You are losing clients faster then you are losing lumias. No phones, no support, sounds like you guys are giving up us.

• angryangry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

waiting the GATT Server for mi Lumia 950. I need it for my Fitbit Blaze. This is a stupid thing, i cant belive

• RobinRobin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like my Windows phone is in for the chop! Just got a Fitbit and discover this issue then find this thread which looks like nothing is going to happen! I have really enjoyed having my Windows phone but if its not going to work with things like this its simply not worth having the phone anymore :( Android here I come..............

I just got the Fitbit Charge 2, partly because I thought I could also get the notifications. Sadly I am now disappointed. I've supported Windows phones for a long time, and they are sooo good - APART from things like this. I feel like Windows shoots themselves in the foot. Now I seem to miss out on a lot of things that my friends with other phones can get :(

• My next phone is a IPhoneMy next phone is a IPhone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excuse me, but working hard? How many months or year's do you need. Well, if you ignore the users we will ignore you. This is a lost case. IPhone and Android users I Will just join your club. Windows admits that they can't make phones that are useful. You can update and you can fix but the lack of response and bad quality of the 950Xl phone is the end game for me.

• Sam SimonSam Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a year, I have updated my windows phone and hoped that each time my fitbit would finally function as intended, ie give notifications of calls, texts etc. Unfortunately time and my patience is about to expire. I fully appreciate bugs need to be identified and resolved, but whats the point of fixing bugs for issues that dont really affect common useage over an issue that will cause the 1% market share to diminish further, Bands are a massive massive thing now and they simply dont function correcrly with windows phones.

• Brian ScottBrian Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Clint, I think so. I guess the bluetooth programming I have been doing with the Windows 10 APIs has been purely client based (Anki Drive cars and the Anova Precision Cooker). I’m assuming these devices are actually running GATT servers in them that are triggering the notify events that let me know when a characteristic’s data has changed. The Fitbits must just be setup to run as GATT clients that subscribe to some kind of notification characteristic? If that is the case, we would need the server api to trigger characteristic notify events to the Fitbit to let it know something in the notification characteristic has changed (like a new text message, or e-mail)? Thanks for responding @Clint. I really appreciate it!

• Clint Rutkas [MSFT]AdminClint Rutkas [MSFT] (Admin, Windows Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Brian, Bluetooth is different than how TCP/IP works. The Bluetooth standard prescribes the interaction pretty much all the way to the app layer so it really is up to the OS to provide GATT Server support and the individual apps have to write really thin clients to interact with it. This is very different than the way TCP/IP worked where every company has their own protocol and commands and TCP/IP just specifies the way to get commands from point A to B. The responsibility is largely shifted to the OS rather than individual apps in Bluetooth. The app however still needs to have that thin client part and as this is newly added, apps still need to be updated with the new APIs. Make sense?

@Mohit, when it hits a WIP flight with the bits included, I'll update this UserVoice item as it will unblock developers interested in the APIs and feature.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base