How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Splash screen for UWP apps should be optional

Currently you have to provide a Splash Screen to get your app to pass the certification kit, which should really be a developer's choice like before.

Splash screens are evil.

http://vgable.com/blog/2010/01/13/splash-screens-are-evil/

http://cyrilmottier.com/2012/05/03/splash-screens-are-evil-dont-use-them/

https://medium.com/@DevAhamed/splash-screens-4afa874ed70 (Its not Branding, Its Annoying)

You don't have to agree with me and all the links above, but at least make it optional.

209 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Justin Liu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nathan Sokalski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The topic was marked as "Working On It" by

Admin
    Clint Rutkas [MSFT] (Admin, Windows Developer)

Is there anywhere that I can find documentation on this (or where I will find it once it is available)? What I usually do is just make a transparent splash screen to simulate having no splash screen, but that still requires having the splash screen *.png file. Just like most things, I think there should be some way to not include a splash screen.

• Jonas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the optional-tag working now? Tried it but didn't work for me

• Rafael Rivera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this functionality be delivered to downlevel versions of Windows 10? It's hard to turn this on for apps that have to work across a wide variety of Windows 10 variations.

• Ashish Shetty [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Happy to report that we are making the splash screen optional via a declaration in the UWP app's package manifest. Tim Heuer and I talked about this at Build 2017. This is targeted to ship with the Fall Creators Update and we will be testing and tuning the timings via flights to Windows Insiders. To opt in, you simply set the property Optional="true" on the SplashScreen element in your Package.appxmanifest in your app project. If your app is alive and kicking prior to a TBD timeout value, then users don't see the splash screen. Otherwise they do.

• Endura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My WPF app would have primary elements visible and responsive in 200ms on a cold start w/ superfetch off. A mandatory splash screen makes this impossible.

• Me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, it should be mandatory. I, as a user, want an app to open immediately. Without splash screen you sometimes have to wait ages for app's window to show up.

• Dale Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Somewhat amusing that the Microsoft feature voting site does not support it's own authentication mechanisms.

I agree with this proposal purely from the perspective that for application "templates", I refuse to check binaries into source control.

I don't understand the resistance to this request - how could making this optional possibly be a bad thing?

• Justin Liu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Matteo, dude, come on, "usually is inside a bad coded app"? Seriously? You have no idea what visual continuity means nor how to start up the app fast without splash.

My advice. Don't ever try to make decisions for others.

• Justin Liu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alex, didn't I say MAKE IT OPTIONAL?? If you dunno how to avoid blank screen on app start up, stick with a splash.

• Matteo Marcianò commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I agree that an option wouldn't hurt, I wonder why are we even bothering ourselves on such a topic.

I think the evil usually is inside a bad coded app, not within a 400ms-lived splash screen.

Also you never know when the target OS is under heavy usage and cannot start your app as fast as your dev machine did.

In a nutshell, I can't say why anybody on earth would opt out of splash screen.

• Amogh Phadke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Users don't like to wait, when they click on app. Splash screen for app is making my consumers wait for actual screens to load. this gives them impression that my APP is slow. I think Microsoft needs to re-consider about having splash screens.

when users click on APP they should directly see UI no lags.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is impossible to get the same performance as the first party apps because they all use a different (native) UI framework and also run in the background.

• Simon Felix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I noticed that it's especially difficult to have good startup performance in panorama apps with a background image. So in my opinion it's impossible to recreate the UI and startup-performance of the Music+Video hub, both at the same time.

My own panorama app takes somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds to start.

• Richard Szalay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I don't disagree with your general request, have you looked the (Microsoft) weather application? It's Silverlight and it starts reasonably quickly (pretty much on par with the people hub)

• Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The original version of my app took about 5 seconds to load, but I got that down to 2 seconds by removing over 900 Silverlight controls that I was using and replacing them with a single WritableBitmap.

Then by using the Performance Profiler tool I was able to find the bottleneck and now it loads in about 800 milliseconds and feels instant.

It is possible to create an app that loads quickly.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base