Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Universal Windows Platform Developer Feedback site. This site provides the Windows developer community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (dashboard, reporting/analytics, submission process, etc.)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows consumer suggestions: Use the Windows Feedback Hub app built directly into Windows 10
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com: Sign in at the bottom of the page to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET: Use the Visual Studio UserVoice site

If you’re new to UserVoice, two things to keep in mind are (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and not the actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request (or if too many different ideas are included in one suggestion).

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. iBeacons support and BLE scanning - Windows Phone

Hello Microsoft,

Please provide APIs and support of iBeacons technology and also BLE scanning without pairing just like using "Advertising Package", so that we can exchange data to or from target device.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. API to trigger Person Reminders

Expose an API that allows apps aside Phone and Messaging to trigger Person reminders.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. unpaired Bluetooth guest for crowd tracking

On iOS, Android, BLE trackers like Trackr can anonymously make an encrypted connection via other users' devices running the tracking app; ideal for crowd tracking your lost device. this may be a blocking issue for getting good tracking devices into the platform

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. BLE devices / ibeacons

Implement native APIs for communicating with BLE devices / 'ibeacons.'

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bluetooth LE auto connection timeout

Currently a Bluetooth LE device that advertises with a 7 second pinging interval won't automatically reconnect to a windows phone, 6 seconds seems to be the magic number (this is from a background task trying to reconnect after a link loss, e.g. in the keep the keys example). Please extend this to be the Maximum time that the Bluetooth spec allows between pings to maintain a connection (which is 32 seconds), or atleast make it greater than 6 seconds so that very low power Bluetooth devices can be made. The phone can manually initiate a connection with greater values, but…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow PeerFinder/Proximity tracking in the background

I'd like to be able to ping for nearby devices running an app using PeerfFinder, but while the app is not in the foreground. If I understand correctly, this is not currently possible. Would it be practical to make it so that a user could authorize proximity tracking in the background so that an app could utilize it?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enable Low-Level NFC support on existing devices

I've seen some suggestions that are close to what we need, but not quite, and are marked as completed.

I don't know why there is no support for current devices to read NFC cards/tags in full at a low level. Seems deceptive to say that the device has NFC capabilities if in reality it can only read a very specific type of tag.

For one of our products we need to support NFC card reading/writing with existing devices and several types of cards (Mifare, UL, ULC, Calypso, Desfire, maybe even more)

I've read that for WP8.1 the functionality will be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fix unreliable Geolocator implementation

The new Geolocator API and implementation is so unreliable, that it can't be used with any confidence in a product. Problems I have encountered:

1) While using PositionChanged event Geolocator.ReportInterval seems to be ignored. The simulator does a reasonable job of honouring the reporting interval, phones seem to ignore it completely e.g. ReportInterval set to 1 second, the phone would regularly take 30 - 45 seconds and sometimes minutes to report.
    As a developer I expect the ReportInterval to be honoured with a high degree of accuracy. If the Phone doesn't have an accurate location, simply return what it does…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bluetooth in background

Have an API for an application to interact with and listen for incomming connections from paired bluetooth devices while in background.

One possible use case:
    A smart watch that uses the phone as a way to access information in the internet. For the most time the watch is disconnected from the phone, but from time to time it could connect to a service running on the phone (maybe timed, maybe because user presses a button on the phone) to send a request, which the service on the phone then handles (some additional data transfer between the phone and watch and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Low Level NFC Support to access SmartCards via ISO14443 compatible Protocoll

At the moment there are only APIs for reading and writing NFC Tags. Unfortunately this is only a very small part of the NFC capabilities. With an ISO14443 Smartcard support, you would be able to communicate with Smartcards like being used in public transport or supporting payment via NFC Credit Cards.
    These capabilities are well supported by other platforms and I would like to see this support on WP8 too.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable political geofences such as country, state, county, city

Some of our use cases require geofences e.g. when entering/leaving a state or reaching city limits.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. NavigationService.Navigate() let us pass a parameter of type object along with the URI

If NavigationService.Navigate() would let us pass a parameter of type object along with the URI, it will help us to keep less states objects in the App class which will become a mess as project grows.

I know we can pass string in the URI but come on we are creating native apps not web apps that we should be limited to this way of coding.

Thanks!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Fix Altitude Bug in GeoCoordinateWatcher and Geolocator when using in WP8

Fix Altitude Bug in GeoCoordinateWatcher and Geolocator when using in WP8. On my lumia 520 (WP8) i get jumping values of altitude, even outdor with a strong and good GPS-signal. The altitude jumps from 27m to 200m up and down, 200m is the right value. The values from GPS-accuracy are top. This occurs In both classes on WP8. I always use the DisiredAccuray = high! I have read, that another user have the same problem with WP8-Phone, like HTC. All GPS-App in the store have the same problem with the jumping altitude.
    But i found a solution. If you take…

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow user selected app to change phone settings.

Just like the user can select apps that are allowed to run in the background, it would be great if they could select apps that are allowed to change phone settings. For example I would love it if my GPS app could turn location on when the app starts and turn it back off when the app exits.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Access to Settings Applets

Provide an API(s) that allow apps to either control Settings (eg, being able to toggle WiFi when NFC tag is interacted).

Also, it would be nice if there was an API that allowed an app to be integrated into the Settings Applets, instead of a standard app.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve handling of NFC tags with multiple NFC records

When Windows Phone 8 discovers an NFC tag, it only tries to act upon the first record. If it does not recognize the record, or has no application to deal with it, it stops. There is no message to the user indicating what is going on even. The phone shakes and does its NFC tone, but then stops.

It would be great if the OS moved on to the second, third, etc, NFC record and tried to trigger off of them until there was a success. This is limiting the potential uses of NFC tags on Windows Phone 8 and…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Improve MIME type support for NFC tags

Windows Phone 8 already handles some media type (MIME) NFC tags, but it could be improved upon substantially. We have developed a dynamic NFC tag that can broadcast NDEF Message up to 4 GB in size, and change the contents on demand. With this amount of space, we can share MP3 files, photographs, and other data that is typically too large to fit on an NFC tag. The problem is that Windows Phone 8 seems to have an artificial limit of 4 KB for how large of an NFC tag it can read. We would like to see this limit…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Access Cards API

API to emulate Radio Access Cards using NFC. That way WP can be used as a universal access card. A lot of corporate users who have to carry their access card with them will appreciate it. It will eliminate the situation when a person forgets his access card and has to go to the security office to get a temporary one.
    One possible application of such API is ability to configure the access card ID from Active Directory. That way IT administrators will be able to provision new access codes using familiar infrastructure.
    It will also make a corporation more…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bluetooth Health Profile (part of Bluetooth 4.0 BLE) external sensors interface

There are more and more external sensors, not only medical, but all kind of proximity stuff for watches, smart apliances, cars, and innumerable industrial applications that would pen the door to thousands of new apps. As usual Microsoft is late in this too, and so we have to focus development on iOS and android that have the SDK up to date with technology.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Acces to raw wifi,bt and cellular data

Allow access to raw data such as signal strength imformation to allow creation of indoor location positioning using available wifi, bluetooth or cellular networks when no gps data is available.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base