Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Universal Windows Platform Developer Feedback site. This site provides the Windows developer community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (dashboard, reporting/analytics, submission process, etc.)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows consumer suggestions: Use the Windows Feedback Hub app built directly into Windows 10
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com: Sign in at the bottom of the page to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET: Use the Visual Studio UserVoice site

If you’re new to UserVoice, two things to keep in mind are (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and not the actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request (or if too many different ideas are included in one suggestion).

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable the Windows 10 Hyper-V Default Switch to work with Cisco AnyConnect

The following Hyper-V networking Configuration breaks DNS name resolution on the Virtual Machine:
    1. Connecting the host to a non-corporate (remote) WiFi network.
    2. Connecting to the corporate network via Cisco AnyConnect on the host.
    3. Start a VM and connect it to the Default Switch (NAT)

When a VM is connected to the default switch and the host is connected to the corporate network via Cisco AnyConnect, the VM looses the ability to resolve DNS addresses. The VM is able to ping both public addresses and corporate addresses; however, it is unable to resolve names on either the public…

233 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

22 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re investigating how to best handle VPN and add more configuration around VPN.

Please:
    1) Upvote if this is important to you. That helps us prioritize.
    2) Let us know which VPN technology you’re using/care most about.
    3) Explain what behavior you’d like to see.

2. No user-consent prompt on first run of broadFileSystemAccess-capable UWP app

When running an app which requires broadFileSystemAccess capabilities, no user-consent prompt appears on the first use. Instead, the app crashes with a System.UnauthorizedAccessException. Going into Settings to enable this privacy permission prevents the crash, and the app works normally. However, there is no prompt to enable this permission as described in the docs.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working on it. We are working on updating docs and adding in the prompt like other restricted items.

A code pattern like this should be a way to catch this scenario.
    {
    StorageFolder folder = await StorageFolder.GetFolderFromPathAsync(@"C:\Foo");
    }
    catch(Exception)
    {
    // prompt user for what action they should do then launch below
    // suggestion could be a message prompt
    await Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(new Uri(“ms-settings:appsfeatures-app”));
    }

3. [UWP] Layout cycle bug in slider

I just came across the following situation which caused a layout cycle error. Basically a Grid with columns Auto, *, Auto and a slider in the middle column. Dragging the slider thumb from side to side caused the layout cycle error. Setting a fixed width for the slider solved the problem. I'm using a UHD display with 150% scaling. The slider value ranged from 0 to 1 in 0.01 steps. It only occurred for one of several sliders like this that I had.

I previously posted a similar bug involving the scroll viewer, which was apparently fixed (I haven't tested…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. AppBarButton with MenuFlyout Flyout is broken in the 1809 update

I am targeting Windows 10 version 1809 and that is also my OS version. If I have an AppBarButton inside a CommandBar and set the Flyout of the AppBarButton to a MenuFlyout then it doesn't work properly - the MenuFlyout opens Ok, but it doesn't block the background and it's impossible to close it without clicking a MenuItem in the MenuFlyout (even clicking on the AppBarButton to try and close it doesn't work). This used to work fine before version 1809. Perhaps something got broken when the new CommandBarFlyout that's been added in 1809 was introduced.

A workaround is to…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Some children are not shown in stack panel

Here's a minimal Github Repo I created to reproduce the problem.

I have a listview whose items panel is set to StackPanel since I need to set the group style panel to a staggered panel which doesn't work well with item stack panel.

The problem now is, out of 27 groups, only 16 groups are shown. I tested it on another list view and I confirmed that the problem is that the stack panel only displays a limited number of children (the strange thing is it's not 16 on my test but 22).

I tried VirtualizingStackPanel but unlike StackPanel,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Autosuggestbox AutoSuggestionBoxTextChangeReason is always UserInput.

[UWP] While following the tutorial at the Microsoft Docs on how to proper create an AutoSuggestBox, when using the SuggestionChosen event handler to change the Text property of the AutoSuggestBox, the TextChanged event is raised with the AutoSuggestionBoxBoxTextChangeReason set to UserInput, even though it was changed via code. The tutorial says it that it should raise it as ProgrammaticChange, and yet that doesn't happen.
    Currently on Windows 10 Pro Build 18309 SDK Version 10.0.17763.132 using Visual Studio 2019 Version 16.0.0 Preview 1.1.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. FeedbackHub link is broken in Windows 10 1809

If you set project target version to 1809 and you try to use this official example for launching feedback hub:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/monetize/launch-feedback-hub-from-your-app

It will crash the app. Here is also full code example of this problem: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArB5XyXKJ9ZWhjheAPPpeRA1rBWe

It's very problematic because now 1809 is available almost everyone and feedback hub launch link itself is broken in 1809. I had to revert it to 1803 to get it working.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. StorageFile.GetThumbnailAsync doesn't wait for thumbnail to be generated

Calling StorageFile.GetThumbnailAsync(ThumbnailMode.SingleItem, desiredSize) doesn't wait for the thumbnail to be generated. If there isn't one already cached, it will return an icon instead. Disposing the stream then waiting for 6 seconds then trying again correctly returns a thumbnail.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. XBox live calls hitting RATE LIMITS throws AMBIGUOUS EXCEPTIONS

When using the XboxLive API and you hit the rate limit. The calls return error codes with a notice of when you can call again. This is fine.

My biggest problem is that when the API translates these limit responses, they THROW UNDOCUMENTED EXCEPTIONS.

This is a poor programming practice. Throwing undocumented ArgumentExceptions give us little to no way to handle the exceptions. You should throw STATES as responses which we can handle, catch and debug more appropriately. Even throwing DOCUMENTED custom exceptions with detailed information inside the EventArgs would be 100x more useful as we could CATCH those things…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. StorageFile.IsEqual is far too slow

Depending on how the files are loaded, StorageFile.IsEqual can take up to 3 milliseconds to complete. When trying to match a file in a list of 1000 files, this is far too slow. As a workaround, I can use the path, but there are occasions when there is no path, such as opening a file on a phone from File Explorer and processing the NeighboringFilesQuery. Would it be possible to have a much faster implementation?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. UWP CommandBar SecondaryCommands KeyboardAccelerators

SecondaryCommands KeyboardAccelerators in a CommandBar only work until the SecondaryCommands menu is opened, then when closed they stop working. This has been tested in 1809.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. [BUG] Page.NavigationCacheMode="Enabled" breaks NavigationView in version 1809

In Windows version 1809, Navigating to a new page that has been created from a page within a NavigationView where Page.NavigatonCacheMode="Enabled", and then navigating back again causes the NavigationView to stop responding to NavigationViewItem clicks. This works as expected in version 1803,

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. AudioGraph Sample Count does not match Duration

The following output is from capturing the Frames from a 440Hz RIFF WAVE file. Note that the number of samples are the same, but the Duration of the second frame is almost 20 times that of the first one.

Samples = 120 RelativeTime = 00:00:06.7918365 Duration = 00:00:00.0435374 NextTimeSpan = 00:00:06.8353739
    Samples = 120 RelativeTime = 00:00:06.8353739 Duration = 00:00:00.8707482 NextTimeSpan = 00:00:07.7061221
    Samples = 120 RelativeTime = 00:00:07.7061221 Duration = 00:00:04.2231292 NextTimeSpan = 00:00:11.9292513

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. AudioFrame.RelativeTime is incorrect

I'm using the most basic file-based connection consisting of:
    one AudioFileInputNode with one Outgoing connection of a AudioFrameOutputNode. The file I'm using is an uncompressed 5.0 second long 440Hz RIFF WAVE file, But, here's the RelativeTime data collected with a 1 second timer:
    SampleCount = 11696520 RelativeTime = 00:00:00 Duration = 01:10:43.6353741
    SampleCount = 8020200 RelativeTime = 01:10:43.6353741 Duration = 00:48:29.8231292
    SampleCount = 11981280 RelativeTime = 01:59:13.4585033 Duration = 01:12:26.9496598
    SampleCount = 9401880 RelativeTime = 03:11:40.4081631 Duration = 00:56:51.1129251
    SampleCount = 10091280 RelativeTime = 04:08:31.5210882 Duration = 01:01:01.2353741
    SampleCount = 10696080 RelativeTime = 05:09:32.7564623 Duration = 01:04:40.6639455
    SampleCount = 8091480…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. usbser.sys is not sending SET_CONTROL_LINE_STATE after RTS chamge

When using usbser.sys driver with USB CDC ACM device (aka USB serial port) RTS line change are not triggering SET_CONTROL_LINE_STATE control request. DTR behaves as expected and control request includes state of RTS line however there is no way to notify the device when only RTS changes

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Flaw in app suspend with multiple views

First of all, it would be nice if it was documented that the Suspending event handler (and also Resuming) is called on the thread associated with the view which added the handler. I think this is fine (and don't change it because it would break existing code), but it should be documented.

Secondly, it seems that views are suspended independently, meaning that the dispatcher associated with one view can be paused before another view is suspended. This is not a good design in my opinion, because one view might be waiting for the other to release a shared resource before…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. mstsc alt ctrl

fix the behaviour of the ctrl alt keys strokes

see https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/41771

If you using th onscreen keyboard on your local maschine and on the remote you see differences . try press alt press ctrl press aorrow down. on the remote the ctrl and alt are gone

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Maximising a minimized app before supend competes shows two window title bars

If you minimize a UWP app so that the suspend handler is invoked, and you request a deferral in the handler, and the app is maximized before derferral.Complete() is shown, then the window shows a static image of the app content until the deferral has completed, but the static image includes the app title bar, and the app title bar is shown as well, so you get two copies of the app title bar showing. Everything is targeting and running on Windows 10 version 1809.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. ComboBox IsEditable Dropdown width bug

When ComboBox IsEditable=true, dropdown width is set to textbox width. This means, when empty and set to auto-width, the dropdown width is very narrow and text for longer options are occluded. This behavior is different from ComboBox when IsEditable=false, where dropdown width is conveniently adjusting to the widest item. However, unlike winforms, ComboBox DropDownWidth property is not available for developers to fix it themselves. As a result, we have to change the ComboBox width itself or wait for the SDK fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix keyboard showing/hiding events for UWP on IoT Core

According to this documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/input/respond-to-the-presence-of-the-touch-keyboard I should be able to receive notifications for the input pane showing or hiding. This is not the case.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base