Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Universal Windows Platform Developer Feedback site. This site provides the Windows developer community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (dashboard, reporting/analytics, submission process, etc.)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows consumer suggestions: Use the Windows Feedback Hub app built directly into Windows 10
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com: Sign in at the bottom of the page to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET: Use the Visual Studio UserVoice site

If you’re new to UserVoice, two things to keep in mind are (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and not the actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request (or if too many different ideas are included in one suggestion).

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include Method for LINQ

I'm looking for something simliar to the include method available for Entity Framework but within Data.Linq namespace of WP7 Mango release. The objective is to perform something like this.
    ((ObjectQuery<TEntity>)queryable).Include(path);

The most near thing I've found is the method LoadWith within DataLoadOption class. Nevertheless, by far it is not enough, because it forces me to load always a navigation property of an entity wherever I load the entity. If I want to change a DataLoadOption, I have to close the connection, define a new DataLoadOptionObject and open the connection. Different scenarios require different data, so it is not enough. The…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable taking panorama screenshots in emulator

Currently we need to do some trickery to take screenshots of application that use panorama control.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK - Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve the DefaultItem behavior of the Panorama

When you use the DefaultItem property of the Panorama control, it's as if you're just rearranging the items. I use this property to restore application state after tombstoning, but the user experience is terrible because this just causes the pano items to reorder themselves.

The correct behavior would be if the panorama were to immediately scroll to the default page (whether animated or not)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Unsorted  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Deploy while debugging/deployment should unlock the screen

When developing with the phone connected via USB, having the screen lock itself is very annoying, and makes app deployment fail.

Some WP7 phone (not the AT&T Samsung Focus) have a "never" screen timeout. However this is for battery and powered scenarios, and you don't want to be manually switching it back and forth all the time. Some of us are stuck with a phone that locks itself all the time. The screen lock also interrupts or prevents app deployment. This makes Visual Studio fail to start the debugging session.

An app deployment should unlock the screen and reset the…

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Give devs access to a ranked list of unmatched user search keywords from marketplace ->product ideas

The keywords people use in unsuccessful marketplace searches (particularly in the desktop Zune application) would, if ranked by frequency, provide useful information to developers on where to focus their development efforts. This would create more opportunities for developers while also helping to provide customers with the apps they want.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Assign icon from IsolatedStorage to ApplicationBarIconButton

Currently you can assign to ApplicationBarIconButton an icon present on your project as 'content'. This basically means you have to determine your icons at design time.

By providing the ability to assign an icon placed on the IsolatedStorage, the developer will be free to create button icons at runtime, dynamically download them from other places etc.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. After application migration to the new dashboard, use the original product ID to bind High German map failure

After application migration to the new dashboard, use the original product ID to bind High German map failure

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Possibility to add test users without new submission

Adding new test users without new submission. Posibility to add new test users in real-time mode. It will be more quickly and easier.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. DataSets

Add ADO.NET to the Silverlight .Net framework so you can use DataSets when working with XML and Relational Data via C# in Windows Phone 7.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File IO / Data Store APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Better WriteableBitmap implementation

I need to write to a bitmap which is very painful (imagine a vnc client for example) on windows phone right now, so please support the Copy- and WritePixels methods and some others.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide method to close the SIP

Controls displaying the SIP when focused should provide a method to close the SIP to ensure data binding is applied. Currently if the user clicks the "save" button right after using the SIP, the data entered is not persisted to the object bound to the control.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Input (Mouse, Touch, Controller)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. More Feedback for requests that will ship in the next Update

This System for featuresuggestion is good, but I miss the feedback to the feedback.
    At the moment only one idea is marked as planed. Even some of the ideas will ship in the next Update they haven't marked as planed or startet.
    Which would give the people that use this Platform give a positive feedback and get there Votes back without manualy search for votes they no longer need because it will be provided in the next Update

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Unsorted  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Open device management API for parental control or schools

We need more control over the device so childrens activities can be regulated.

I thought about something like the MDM is doing with exchange server and its policies or the "My Family" feature but for third party apps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SecureString is missing in UWP

SecureString exists on WP but not on winrt. Please add it

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Media Capture in JS/HTML5 on Windows Phone 8.1

We can't take photos on apps made by JavaScript with Windows Phone 8.1! Windows 8.1 allow it!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Widget Project Tempalte for Windows/Windows Phone

Live tiles are fine, but we need a true way to make tiles more dynamic and that would be accomplished with a widget application template. In a similar way to the new lock-screen apps, allow developers to create an app that runs inside a tile of larger dimensions that then current pre-defined tile sizes.

The app should have full access to touch events on the tile so it can respond to them. For example, I could create a mail widget which shows me the 3 most recent messages and when I tap it's UI, I can take some action on…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. MediaComposition for Windows 8

Support Windows.Media.Editing on Windows 8. Currently it is supported on Windows Phone only.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Custom Brokers

Provide Custom System Brokers for WinRT platform.
    We need IO Brokers to enable copy and paste scenarios in Universal App in Phone and tablet.
    We need PVR broker to act as a middle man, this may not apply to Phone and Tablet.
    We need real Background Download Broker so we can have torrent or custom Download scenarios (some of them may not apply to specific form factor)

I am sure you get the Idea ! :D

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base