Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Universal Windows Platform Developer Feedback site. This site provides the Windows developer community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (dashboard, reporting/analytics, submission process, etc.)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows consumer suggestions: Use the Windows Feedback Hub app built directly into Windows 10
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com: Sign in at the bottom of the page to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET: Use the Visual Studio UserVoice site

If you’re new to UserVoice, two things to keep in mind are (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and not the actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request (or if too many different ideas are included in one suggestion).

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Javascript Windows.ApplicationModel.Package.CheckUpdateAvailabilityAsync

Executing the CheckUpdateAvailabilityAsync function from a WinJS app doesn't work!

Below error is thrown:
    0x80040155 - JavaScript runtime error: Interface not registered

Failed to find proxy registration for IID: {4020C034-C762-5152-BEEF-F03471E885B9}.
    WinRT information: Failed to find proxy registration for IID: {4020C034-C762-5152-BEEF-F03471E885B9}.

Please see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/windows.applicationmodel.package.checkupdateavailabilityasync

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  HTML Apps (Hosted Web Apps, WinJS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make GetBasicPropertiesAsync and functions of StorageFile.Properties thread-safe and/or provide a lightweight way to clone a StorageFile

Currently StorageFile.GetBasicPropertiesAsync and functions on StorageFile.Properties will fail if other async operations are in progress on the file (except RetrievePropertiesAsync, which thankfully works Ok). This is very difficult to manage in a complex app where StorageFile objects may be passed around, perhaps between threads as well, although the problem occurs with just one UI thread as well.

It would be good if these functions did not fail if called simultaneously, but behaved as they would if you called them from two different StorageFile instances representing the same physical file.

This is made especially difficult by the fact that there is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File IO / Data Store APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide a way to mark a Store submission as a bug fix so it can skip or fast-track certification

From my recent experiences it seems that an app submission can pass certification with no problems, but then a subsequent submission that only makes a very minor code change such as bug fix can fail certification. I accept that this will probably happen in general because full checks cannot be applied every time and different testers may pick up on different things.

However, it concerns me that one day I will run into the following hypothetical scenario:
    I release a major app update which passes certification fine. I then notice a critical bug in the app which I need to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. UWP CommandBar SecondaryCommands KeyboardAccelerators

SecondaryCommands KeyboardAccelerators in a CommandBar only work until the SecondaryCommands menu is opened, then when closed they stop working. This has been tested in 1809.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Исправить ошибку!

Почему Республика Крым находится при выборе региона в составе Украины, а не в Российской Федерации?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  App Extensions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. [BUG] Page.NavigationCacheMode="Enabled" breaks NavigationView in version 1809

In Windows version 1809, Navigating to a new page that has been created from a page within a NavigationView where Page.NavigatonCacheMode="Enabled", and then navigating back again causes the NavigationView to stop responding to NavigationViewItem clicks. This works as expected in version 1803,

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. AudioGraph Sample Count does not match Duration

The following output is from capturing the Frames from a 440Hz RIFF WAVE file. Note that the number of samples are the same, but the Duration of the second frame is almost 20 times that of the first one.

Samples = 120 RelativeTime = 00:00:06.7918365 Duration = 00:00:00.0435374 NextTimeSpan = 00:00:06.8353739
    Samples = 120 RelativeTime = 00:00:06.8353739 Duration = 00:00:00.8707482 NextTimeSpan = 00:00:07.7061221
    Samples = 120 RelativeTime = 00:00:07.7061221 Duration = 00:00:04.2231292 NextTimeSpan = 00:00:11.9292513

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow audio files located in ms-appdata:/// as ToastAudio source

Currently ToastAudio for Toast only supports read-only audio files packaged along with the app. (located in ms-appx:///). I request to allow audio files located in ms-appdata:/// folder as well.

Current restriction prevents developers from letting users select their own toast audio files. This is particularly needed in alarm clock apps. Both iOS and android have the ability to do this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bug: No crash dump for side-loaded HoloLens app when crash dump enabled

Apologies if this isn't the correct place to lodge this bug. If not, please redirect me :)

We have a Unity HoloLens app that calls into a native dll which throws an unhandled exception. The application crashes. There are no clues in the Unity logs as you'd expect, as this is native code.

We've enabled Crash Dumps for the app under "App Crash Dumps" in the Windows Device Portal, but whenever the crash happens, nothing appears under Crash Dumps in the same window when refreshed.

This definitely worked in previous Windows versions on the HoloLens. Could it be a bug…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Device Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. AudioFrame.RelativeTime is incorrect

I'm using the most basic file-based connection consisting of:
    one AudioFileInputNode with one Outgoing connection of a AudioFrameOutputNode. The file I'm using is an uncompressed 5.0 second long 440Hz RIFF WAVE file, But, here's the RelativeTime data collected with a 1 second timer:
    SampleCount = 11696520 RelativeTime = 00:00:00 Duration = 01:10:43.6353741
    SampleCount = 8020200 RelativeTime = 01:10:43.6353741 Duration = 00:48:29.8231292
    SampleCount = 11981280 RelativeTime = 01:59:13.4585033 Duration = 01:12:26.9496598
    SampleCount = 9401880 RelativeTime = 03:11:40.4081631 Duration = 00:56:51.1129251
    SampleCount = 10091280 RelativeTime = 04:08:31.5210882 Duration = 01:01:01.2353741
    SampleCount = 10696080 RelativeTime = 05:09:32.7564623 Duration = 01:04:40.6639455
    SampleCount = 8091480…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Running off my phone need to invest in a laptop to better see to educate self

Learning coding and learn how to operate for corporate reasearchersing

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Background Processing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow TextBox Cursor to be something other than I-Beam

Currently the only way to set a new cursor is on the Window.Current.CoreWindow.PointerCursor instance. Unfortunately, the TextBox control overrides this setting even if the control is ReadOnly or Disabled. The TextBox is a standard ListItem element and when using them to display lists of items it's not user friendly to change the cursor to an I-Beam when in fact the user cannot enter any text and the application simply wants the user to scroll through the list as in the following example:

<RelativePanel x:Name="thisRelativePanel">
    <TextBox x:Name="thisTextBox" Text="Hello" KeyDown="ThisTextBox_KeyDown" IsReadOnly="True" PointerEntered="ThisTextBox_PointerEntered" PointerExited="ThisTextBox_PointerExited" />
    </RelativePanel>
    private void ThisTextBox_PointerEntered(object sender, PointerRoutedEventArgs e)
    { …

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Display custom information in App settings of UWP application

I am building a UWP application. When I open the app settings for my App, I see a window like this: https://i.stack.imgur.com/ztTRy.png

I want to display some more information on this window. I want to display if the app is in beta version or debug version or release version on this window.

The Stackoverflow link: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54607669/display-custom-information-in-app-settings-of-uwp-application

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Expose UEFI's GetNextVariableName to the userspace

Windows API provides the SetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable and GetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable families of functions, that effectively allow setting and getting the UEFI variables.
    However it';'s not enough to work with the UEFI variables, because you also need a way to enumerate them.

UEFI spec has GetNextVariableName function that lets one do that that, but Windows does not expose it right now.

I'd like to have access to that functionality of the UEFI.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I want to buy you all coffee. Thank you for bash, windows subsystem, CLI tool improvements..

I own, and develop on, Mac, Windows, and Linux (desktop and embedded). I have found the combination of Windows and Ubuntu subsystem (or just bash), to be the happy middle ground of all of these, and it greatly increased my productivity, allowed me to bring my experience on linux development to bear on windows projects, and completely eclipses other cross-platform or virtualization-based solutions. Thank you. How do I buy you all coffee?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SwipeControl should support mouse input

The SwipeControl control should support mouse input as well as touch input. Currently it only supports touch input.

I appreciate that swipe controls have come out of developments around touch interfaces. However on a platform that allows for a single app to run on both desktop and touch devices I think that users will be expecting to be able to interact with the app in similar ways across devices.

Microsoft have set precedent for this in their own apps. Outlook for example utilises a SwipeControl type arrangement (that can be interacted with using a mouse) for marking emails as read…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. App File Explorer not showing SD

App File Explorer doesn't distinguish Device from SD

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Device - Phone / Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Dashboard Feedback Stopped Working

The Feedback feature in the Dashboard seems to have stopped working. I no longer see new feedback that I know are in the Feedback Hub app (I can see them in the app).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Plataformas para telefonos moviles

Hola a toda la comunidad.
    Cansado de la INSEGURIDAD de Google y sus servicios, pido que vuelvan a valorar volver a tener plataformas para telefonos moviles. Y ademas, que se ocupen, COMO SIEMPRE, en el respeto que Google y sus servicios nos niegan.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Device - Phone / Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Community Toolkit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base