Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows:
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com
    • Sign in to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Diff syntax highlighting in MarkdownTextblock

For example:
    @@ -52,17 +52,6 @@
    // Unchanged code
    - // Deleted line
    + // Added line

This would be useful for GitHub related scenarios.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UWP Community Toolkit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • WebView Context Menu

It should return DOM element and coordinates, and in case of image also the raw bytes.
      Currently it is impossible to implement context menus, save files, and implement other functions general web browsers have.
      At least, receiving ScriptNotify events should be possible on http and without adding ApplicationContentUriRules in Manifest, so that we could atleast have a way to do it on our own.

4 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Web Browser Control APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

leaving this open as this is a lot of implementation work you have to do.

Have you looked at the addWebAllowedObject? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/windows.ui.xaml.controls.webview#Windows_UI_Xaml_Controls_WebView_AddWebAllowedObject_System_String_System_Object_

This would allow to be a tool for communication. Eliminates the need to use script notify, is more performant, and enables the communication channel without having to statically declare urls. It also works over http.

• Offer poolmon as standalone application

I have a driver causing a memory leak. Microsoft's official support reccomends that I use a tool called poolmon to find which driver is causing the leak.

Poolmon is not offered as a standalone tool, and only as part of the Windows Driver Kit, so I must download the entire Windows Driver Kit to access this one small tool.

In order to download the Windows Driver Kit, I must first install Visual Studio 2017.

I am not going to download multiple GBs of **** that I will never use to fix a memory leak. That just turns my memory leak…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  App Extensions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • UWP - FileSavePicker - Multiple file type choices with same file extension

Hello!!

* Scenario: An application saving different file formats with the same file extension (example: choices for TXT files when saving with Excel, MS Office).

* Case (tested): When using FileSavePicker with UWP, even if the application adds different choices with the same file extension then it is not possible to know which of those choices the user actually selected. FileSavePicker just returns a StorageFile class for the file name and extension.

* Issue: I developed a Desktop application saving files with different formats with the same file extension (using SaveFileDialog and FilterIndex), and currently UWP would not allow me…

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File IO / Data Store APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • The next crazy Idea: Stop spoiling your customers with annoying Software

You know it for sure: one developer produces great software like Google Chrome, Paint.net or many others.

The other developers try to force customers to use their software, for example M$ with Edge and "Paint 3D". M$ even tries to pay customers to use Bing & Edge.

This is the crezy idea:
            M$ could try again to develop great software again as many years before which your customers want to install themselves, because it's just fun to work with and it brings great benefits to users.

**** of customers by M$ with forced and uncompetitive software like Edge, Paint 3D,…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  App Extensions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • if ı can se my other drives that was be good ( D drive E Drive )

im using file explorer but if ı can seee my otler drives like D drive ore E drive ıts gona be more handfull

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Device Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • TrySetWallpaperImageAsync only supports primary monitor

TrySetWallpaperImageAsync only supports a primary display rather than allowing the wallpaper to be set for any attached displays. Please add support for enumeration and setting of the wallpaper image for all attached displays.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • My People notification badge vs My People notifications

When a notification implements the `hint-people` attribute to trigger the notification badge in My People, then there will be no Toast notification but an My People Notification (these little, animated things)
                  How about letting the user decide, whether My People should use these animated notifications or normal Toasts.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Chips Control

I think we need a chips control as a new feature in the UWP community toolkit

A good web example can be found here

https://material.angular.io/components/chips/overview

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UWP Community Toolkit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • 1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Font name/size/color to TextToolbar

I'm missing the ability to change the font name/size and color. I would like to add the functionality myself or contribut, if somebody could help me. Thanks

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• windows 10s apps uservoice

I'm not a developer. I'm a school teacher. I am considering future options for puchasing devices. I think MS needs to provide more support for schools thinking about cloudbook using Windows 10s. There doesnt seem to be any website for this.
                          I'd like a user voice where we can request certain software be added to the windows store.
                          I'd like students to be able to install Scratch and Sketchup for example.
                          I understand that cloudbooks are meant to largely be web based tools. But there are still times when you want to install some things.

I also understand that this…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Unsorted  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Bring full support for Common Lisp to the platform

With F# still not providing a way to code a full application for the desktop using UWP after several years of people waiting, I want to call for bringing Common Lisp to the platform. Developers deserve a first class functional language to develop UWP apps in and MS had used Lisp for MS Bob way back in the day. Machines now have the power to really make Lisp shine and show all it can do to empower UWP developers to create amazing solutions.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • improve Windows Mobile

Update apps same time as IOS and Android updates theirs. Include assistive touch just like on IOS and android. Include gestures that could allow users minimize apps, for example with three fingers.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Device - Phone / Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Support HLS version 7 so Enterprises can move to Fragmented MP4 backed streams

Apple announced support for Fragmented MP4 backed HLS Streams under HLS version 7: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/504/ at WWDC 2016.

We are looking to change the way our HLS streams are generated and Windows seems to be one of the few platforms that doesn't support playing these type of streams.

This will also impede our ability to reuse these fMP4s for MPEG DASH in the future.

Can you please add support for this?

8 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  2 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Possibility to schedule a Add-on price Increase

I would like to have the possibility to schedule a Add-on price Increase. The users that are already subscribed to the Add-on will keep the same price as before but the new Users will get the new price.
                                  What's the reason that currently Microsoft is blocking a price increase?

It's not really convenient for developers to create every time a new Add-on when they want to increase the price.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Intel wifi Lan 4965 driver Support : Possible Solution

The wireless card worked well till windows 7. Now this is a mess. Intel says they cannot Give update. The Solution to no connectivity I have found is in Adapter >Properties> Configuration> wireless mode. Changing it from b/g/a to b/g and vice versa each time it does not connect ; connects the device. I have to do it whenever there is some heavy thing between Computer and Hub. Microsoft can set a "Do while loop in its generic drivers" Also
                                    2. please set some heat sensing app by default in your Windows before it is too late.
                                    3. Set a…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Inking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • its trash and it doesnt work please fix it

it wont let me cconnect it just sais turn on

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Device Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Microsoft's internet site does not work normally with IE

The following page https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/preview/ does not work in IE. I cannot expand FAQ entries and so on. The page above also recommends me to set up the MS Edge. The MS Edge is incompatible with my LTSB system. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/deploy/hardware-and-software-requirements .
                                        My idea is either to fix the Internet (I have problems not only with https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/preview/ but with some other sites too -- GitHub warns me to update too) or the MS LTSB systems (personally I am interested in MS Windows Server 2016).
                                        Thank you.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Inking Custom Word List

For some languages - Chinese for example - ink recognition results tend to have lots of errors. It would be extremely helpful if we could create a custom dictionary/word list/constraint as we can already with Speech recognition, as it was possible in the old Microsoft.Ink API:
                                          https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms829122.aspx

Really should be a must-have; I am working on an app that has expected writing entries and it is a pain when none of the recognition results are close. And it is necessary for any app that needs to detect a custom word.

Here is a related StackOverflow question:
                                          https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36407922/how-to-add-a-custom-word-list-to-inkrecognizer-in-uwp

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Inking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base