Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Universal Windows Platform Developer Feedback site. This site provides the Windows developer community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (dashboard, reporting/analytics, submission process, etc.)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows consumer suggestions: Use the Windows Feedback Hub app built directly into Windows 10
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com: Sign in at the bottom of the page to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET: Use the Visual Studio UserVoice site

If you’re new to UserVoice, two things to keep in mind are (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and not the actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request (or if too many different ideas are included in one suggestion).

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ComboBox IsEditable Dropdown width bug

When ComboBox IsEditable=true, dropdown width is set to textbox width. This means, when empty and set to auto-width, the dropdown width is very narrow and text for longer options are occluded. This behavior is different from ComboBox when IsEditable=false, where dropdown width is conveniently adjusting to the widest item. However, unlike winforms, ComboBox DropDownWidth property is not available for developers to fix it themselves. As a result, we have to change the ComboBox width itself or wait for the SDK fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please improve the Store Certification process!

Please provide some consistency in the certification process. I submitted a game for publishing on Monday. It went through the entire process in about 2 hours. The game wasn't set to be published until Friday at Midnight.

Over the course of the week, some fixes were made to the game's code and was resubmitted for publication on Thursday around 10am.

It's been sitting in "Certification in Progress" now for 2 days. If it doesn't go through, I'm going to miss my published release date.

If you can't give a reasonable estimation on release times, maybe let us put multiple releases…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Cannot submit app to the store using cppwinrt and XAML.

I am using cppwinrt to build an app for the store, but the XAML IDL generation seems to be generating invalid metadata.
    --------------

The overloaded methods GetXamlType of type <App>.XamlMetaDataProvider in file <App>.winmd have the same number of in parameters without one that has DefaultOverloadAttribute. Exactly one method overload must have DefaultOverloadAttribute.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enhance the experience of RangeSelector

I am looking forward to the following improvements to RangeSelector

1. Add the ability to set the minimum/maximum selection range (maybe MaxRangeLength/MinRangeLength). For example, if we set MinRangeLength=5, then RangeMax must be greater than or equal to 5 when RangeMin is 0. I think this will be useful to prevent users from choosing inappropriate range values.
    2. We should be able to change the range by dragging the middle part.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Community Toolkit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PlaneProjection

PlaneProjection with Storyboard animations is presently unusable when any of the Rotation properties are applied (RotationX, RotationY, RotationZ).

If you have code like this:
    storyboard.AddAnimation(img, duration, oldpp.RotationX, rotationX, "(UIElement.Projection).(PlaneProjection.RotationX)", ef);
    storyboard.AddAnimation(img, duration, oldpp.RotationY, rotationY, "(UIElement.Projection).(PlaneProjection.RotationY)", ef);
    storyboard.AddAnimation(img, duration, oldpp.RotationZ, rotationZ, "(UIElement.Projection).(PlaneProjection.RotationZ)", ef);
    storyboard.AddAnimation(img, 800, 0, 200, "(UIElement.Projection).(PlaneProjection.LocalOffsetX)", ef);

storyboard.Begin();

followed by

… setup code then

storyboard.AddAnimation(img, 800, 200, 0, "(UIElement.Projection).(PlaneProjection.LocalOffsetX)", ef);

You get a bounce in the in animation with the resulting end point of the animation being incorrect.

This used to work. It's a horrific bug that was introduced with an OS change and affects windows 1703 and above.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Reveal Highlight Dropped Frames

In recent 19H1 builds, particularly 18329, the reveal highlight effect will occasionally drop frames when users hover over supported controls.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix keyboard showing/hiding events for UWP on IoT Core

According to this documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/input/respond-to-the-presence-of-the-touch-keyboard I should be able to receive notifications for the input pane showing or hiding. This is not the case.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support WinAppDriver to identify controls/elements within embedded DotNetBrowser

I'm looking for automating an hybrid app where some of the controls are now Web using DotNetbrowser.
    When i run WinAppDriver, the whole window comes up as Chromium document.
    Is there a way to recognize the controls with out opening a debugging remote port?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. TreeView event for child re-ordering

The UWP TreeView control lacks an event to notify that child nodes have been re-ordered due to a drag and drop. The DragItemsCompleted event is fired but there is no direct information in the arguments about whether the child ordering has changed or whether a child has been added.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SetNavigationState throws System.AccessViolationException

When I rename a XAML Page, its name can be still present in the NavigationState. This may cause that Frame.SetNavigationState will throw System.AccessViolationException which cannot be catched. In case the app is updated and the NavigationState is kept it may happen that OS is launching the app with the NavigationState from the previous version. This may cause that the app will hang during launch.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add a hardware dashboard API health page

Please consider to add health check page for hardware dashboard API service for managing hardware submissions.
    It's not working for about a day (returning HTTP 503 on every request) and no one have a clue what happened and when it would be fixed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Disable 3D / Terrain Elevation / Relief of the UWP MapControl

I want to disable 3D or set every mountain/surface in the map to altitude zero? I need to have a fully flat map. I know I can disable the user from changing the camera's pitch, but it is not enough.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Maps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Fix Schema For Hid DeviceCapability

Some Hid devices can not be included under DeviceCapability in the Package.appmanifest. This means that some hardware devices can not be used. The error is: 'vidpid:‭2B24‬ 0001' violates pattern constraint of 'any|vidpid:[0-9a-fA-F]{4} [0-9a-fA-F]{4}( (usb|bluetooth))?|model:[^;]{1,512};.{1,512}'

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. OnConnectVisualChildren

Corresponding to UIElement.OnDisconnectVisualChildren it would make sense to also have UIElement.OnConnectVisualChildren, indicating when a child has been added. In WPF we had OnVisualChildrenChanged but this seems to be missing from UWP.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make UWP great again with PowerShell Integration

Is it possible to provide a new API that allows the use of PowerShell/System.Automation like it was used in previous UWP dev platforms? PowerShell is great and UWP could benefit by integrating PowerShell with in a new API. Using FullTrustProcess/Windows Runtime components does not work.
    Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Enterprise APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. hello, i want to close my developer account & get the money from my app sales, which is less than threshold level. how can i do that?

hello, i want to close my developer account & get the money from my app sales, which is less than threshold level. how can i do that?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support Random Access in ListBox, ListView, and GridView

Currently the ListBox, ListView, and GridView controls only notify their ItemSource when the user scrolls down to indicate that the underlying ItemSource object needs to add more items to the control's list. In other words the only supported access is sequential.

Random access requires that these controls notify the ItemSource when the user scrolls up as well as down. Plus, allow the user to select a random item for example via a vertical scrollbar.

Minimum Required Properties:
    Get/Set ItemCount - this is the total # of items in the ItemSource
    Get/Set ItemIndex - this is the first item of the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Only compile XAML as needed

When building a UWP project, editing any file in the project results in every XAML file being re-compiled, regardless of if the file references anything in the changed file. In smaller projects, compilation happens fast enough to not matter. In our project with ~200 XAML files, MarkupCompilePass1 and MarkupCompilePass2 combined take 79 seconds.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enable HDR output mode for MediaPlayerElement for Third-party App

Fact 1:
    Current only Microsoft Movie & TV app have this capability, when User play HDR video the TV will indicate it's output HDR color format

Fact 2:
    Microsoft Media Player don't support HDR

Fact 3:
    so as my Video Player App. even though Hardware decoding HEVC HDR Video Sample will not HDR output , color seems over exposure, beacause not enough Color space availabale.

Please expose this Feature for Developer, even just as a restricted capability will be sufficent.

refer to:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/chuckw/2017/12/15/directx-and-uwp-on-xbox-one/

HDR
    UWP on Xbox One apps have limited access to the High-Dynamic Range (HDR) capabilities of the…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. PickMultipleFoldersAsync

In UWP, there are a variety of pickers to pick single or multiple files async, there is a picker for picking folders, but no picker to pick multiple folders. When you need to copy only certain folders, or scan for files on multiple folders but not all, this would be very useful.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base