Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows:
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com
    • Sign in to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Multiple profiles in WebView

I have a scenario, when my user wants to sign into two different accounts. Unfortunately, the API does not support that (e.g. it logs off account 1 when logging into account 2). API uses a WebView-based auth.

It would be great, if I could have two WebView, each having a different user profile.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Web Browser Control APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 4 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UWP Community Toolkit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add a command to call the Utilities page under System settings

There are a lot of "ms-settings:***" commands to launch different settings pages from code on HoloLens, but there is no way to call the utilities page under the sysem settings. A command like "ms-settings:utilities" would be very useful.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Holographic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • WebGL does not work in WebView in x86 apps on W10 1803

Our primary UWP app is currently compiled as x86 only because there are some limitations of C++ libs we use.
          We've discovered just today, that WebGL does not work in WebView in UWP apps compiled as x86 on Windows 10 1803.
          Any idea, if this will be fixed in a cummulative update?

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9d7e063b-e281-4234-bfed-30e6626f26b2/rs41803webview-can39t-run-webgl-under-windows-1803?forum=wpdevelop

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Web Browser Control APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Why is CharacterCasing not added to TextBlocks, Runs, and RichTextBlock

CharacterCasing has been added to the platform, but it seems to only be used on editable text controls. I have been asking for this text tranform feature since the Windows Phone 7 Silverlight days, but even though most of the All Caps and All Lowercase text styles have been left behind in the Metro design days, there is still a need and wish to display labels, and other non-editable text content, in uppercase and lowercase styles, which exists in HTML with the TextTransform property in CSS.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Support Multiple Functions for x:Bind

The following example doesn't show an error in the Designer, but throws errors in the generated code. If I add a (x:Int32) case before the inner function I get a 'Functions cannot have other functions as parameters' error.

Width="{x:Bind exf:Bind.Clamp(exf:Bind.Subtract(ContentHolder.(ex:FrameworkElementExtensions.ActualWidth), 30), 100, 300)}"

It'd be great if we could chain functions together in x:Bind to create more complex expressions. The above case is trying to subtract from the width of another element, but clamp it within a specific range.

Rather than writing a specific function for this purpose, it'd be nice if it could be composed of individual pieces that…

3 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

on the backlog  ·  1 comment  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Read bar-code data through background service using Point of Service.

I have a bar-code scanner attached to my windows machine USB port.

I want to create windows service which runs in background and checks if any bar-code is scanned, whenever a bar-code is scanned I want the windows service to handle it and write the input to the text file.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• VR Goggles Programmability

I need the screen address(es) of virtual reality goggles in general, as well as their resolution width x height x depth and pitch.

Probably through a direct draw surface(s).

Reason being, I do my own 3d rendering without using DirectX for that video portion of my code, just Locking the screen DirectDraw surface for it's parameters.

Without this information it will not be worthwhile for me to pursue the creation of a virtual reality system, and with this information I can get the job done in a few days.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Holographic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • keyboard closes when changing inputbox in assigned access mode

Up until the latest windows update, the virtual keyboard worked fine, but now (using my app with the most recent nuget packages) in assigned access mode (tablet mode) the keyboard closes when tapping a different inputbox on a xaml form.

To get the keyboard to return, you have to tap it again, and this happens on every single box. It didn't do this before the latest update.

I'm using a tablet with Win 10 Pro build 1709

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow applications to have elevated privileges/admin rights

I have a disk imaging application (which I have already converted) that writes bytes directly to disk (USB and SD cards). It requires admin rights to get a lock on the disk. It would be good if we could submit utility tools to the store as there is no way to perform these tasks without admin. Maybe warn the user when downloading the app or more stringent verification process for these apps but don't block them completely as you're hurting both devs and users. There are thousands of apps out there that probably aren't converted for similar reasons.

4 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Does Desktop Bridge enable COM interop?

Will Desktop Bridge enable a UWP application to access an existing code base built upon COM?

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Support offline app license check.

At the moment the app license check requires an internet connection or caching of license information. For consecutive checks (after the first app start) it should be possible to check the license offline without having to implement custom (possible unsecure) license caching.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • API Discovery

It would be nice it there was an API Discovery endpoint.

for example: <deviceIpAddress>/api/me

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows Device Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • In webb for HoloLens, Running apps section should have a column that tell the user account under which a app/process is running

In webb for HoloLens, Running apps section should have a column that tell the user account under which a app/process is running

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Device Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • With Sets should come some clear and carefully set out guidance for App UI and Top Bars in apps

Sets is set to be the biggest change to Window and App UI, and so before it goes live, Microsoft needs to establish clear UI goals for making apps look like they belong and fit into these Tabs.

I have been exploring how you would go about making App layouts "work" within their Tab, and thought I would share and pass it on.

I am open to be convinced, but without a Top Bar of some kind, I don't think Apps can look good with Sets.

https://imgur.com/4LvK4ux.png

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • SerialDevice can't receive data in some cases

Windows.Devices.SerialCommunication.SerialDevice can't receive data in some cases.

To reproduice:
                                  1) Take sample from here: https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-iotcore-samples/tree/develop/Samples/SerialUART/CS

2) In MainPage.xaml.cs change line 97 from serialPort.BaudRate = 9600; to serialPort.BaudRate = 115200;

3) Comment lines from 105 to 108, where serial device settins read. This should be commented:
                                  /*txt += serialDevice.BaudRate + "-";
                                  txt += serialDevice.DataBits + "-";
                                  txt += serialDevice.Parity.ToString() + "-";
                                  txt += serialDevice.StopBits;*/

4) Run application and set breakpoint ReadAsync method after line
                                  if (bytesRead > 0)

5) Connect to port and try to send data to it

6) You will see that "await loadAsyncTask" never ends...

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • App Crash or Freeze, 'Entry point not found' for UWP builds from certification server which uses buggy SupportedAPIs...

The last three days I was working hard to solve a problem, submitting our UWP app to the store. Now I know why it was not working and I want to make my knowledge public. Maybe it will help someone.

Problem:

We have an UWP app targeting Windows 10 fall creators update which was published successfully to the sore previously.
                                    A new version fails the certification process with “10.4.2 App Crash or Freeze”
                                    Debug build of the app is starting and working on our developer machine
                                    Side loadable release builds are also starting and working on our build and test…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Load PathIcon "data" from svg file added to project

Suggestion for Pathicon "DataUri Property" for loading PathIcon from a Svg File, instead of specifying messy vector strings, nobody really wanted to put this stuff ("F1 M 16,12 20,2L 20,16 1,16") in their xaml. Example:

<PathIcon
                                      DataUri="ms-appx:///Svg/MyButton.svg"
                                      HorizontalAlignment="Center"/>

Notice: "DataUri Property" and Resource path ms-appx:/// pointing to svg file added to visual studio project under an Svg folder.

Another possibility is to allow DataUri to point to a text file holding this type of stuff: "F1 M 16,12 20,2L 20,16 1,16". Example:

<PathIcon
                                      DataUri="ms-appx:///PathIcons/MyButton.txt"
                                      HorizontalAlignment="Center"/>

Then, MyButton.txt can contain:

"F1 M 16,12 20,2L 20,16 1,16".

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • [Bug] UWP SwipeControl: unexpected behaviour when FlowDirection is RTL

Scenario:
                                        App language is English (FlowDirection: LTR)
                                        Swiping a SwipeControl item from the right to the left will reveal the options on the right (as if dragging the item to the left, revealing options behind it. EXPECTED)
                                        User changes the language to Arabic (FlowDirection: RTL)
                                        Expectation: User swipes from the left to the right to reveal the options on the left (as if dragging the item to the right to reveal options behind it)
                                        Currently: user swipes from the right to the left to reveal the options on the left (as if the item is moving in the opposite direction…

3 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • TextBox control need HeightLines property

Would be nice if you could set the height of a TextBox using number of Lines. Example:

<!-- Set TextBox Height to 10 lines (REQUESTED FEATURE)-->
                                          <TextBox HeightLines="10" AcceptsReturn="true"/>

<!-- Set TextBox Height to 300 pixels (CURRENT ONLY PIXELS)-->
                                          <TextBox Height="300" AcceptsReturn="true"/>

The reason why its a good idea to add a HeightLine property is that it allows everything to be done in XAML, setup the FontSize, FontFamily, and the Pixels size automatically to expand to match exactly 10 lines. Previously, this is messy because it requires setting from C# code, to measure height of font and multiply by number…

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base