Microsoft Edge Developer

Hi, are you a web developer or designer?

“No, I just want to share feedback on Microsoft Edge.”

Please use the Feedback Hub (requires Windows 10) to submit your feedback in the Microsoft Edge category. This site is for web developer and designer feedback only. Other feedback will be closed without action.

“Yes, I’m a web developer or designer with feedback for the Microsoft Edge platform.”

Great! This site is where the Microsoft Edge team collects feature requests from the web developer and designer community in the categories listed to the right. For bugs on existing features, please log an issue on the Issue Tracker.

Your feedback will help us with planning and to better understand how web developers and designers are using the platform. Top standards-based feature requests will also be copied over to status.microsoftedge.com, where you can track its development status.

For the most actionable feedback, please search and up vote for existing suggestions before submitting a new suggestion, and create a separate suggestion per idea. Note that off topic or inappropriate suggestions may be moderated. The Microsoft Edge team will use suggestions as an important input, but there are several additional factors that inform the final roadmap.

A note from our lawyers: Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the Terms of Service for more information.

How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement CSS `display: flow-root` (modern clearfix)

`display: flow-root` is a modern way to force a block to be a formatting context that floated elements are contained in (aka clearfix).

From the spec [1]:

> The element generates a block container box, and lays out its contents using flow layout. It always establishes a new block formatting context for its contents.

Tab Atkins and Elika Etemad (fantasai) from CSSWG consider the feature stable enough to be implemented [2].

[1] https://drafts.csswg.org/css-display-3/#valdef-display-flow-root
    [2] https://discourse.wicg.io/t/1835/6

2,007 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    27 comments  ·  CSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Give Edge at least the same functionality as the product it replaced (IE)

Put the Favourites links back into the users' favourites folder on the desktop. The current location of Edge favourites' links is utterly ridiculous - the pathway is about a page long, and clearly intended to prevent users from directly managing their bookmark links the same way we could with IE. This is ****, and if MS had any sort of interest in their clients and user base, they wouldn't make such stupid, alienating, non-consultative decisions.
    Fix this now, before we all choose Firefox instead !!!!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Give Edge at least the same functionality as the product it replaced (IE)

Put back the toolbars and users' ability to customise them. You've really buggered up your own product here. What idiot approved development of a product that doesn't have at least the same functionality as the one it replaced? Edge may run faster, but your users have to waste their own time doing simple **** like printing, which is now no longer a simple click on a single button. Edge doesn't even preselect the buttons it does have. MS, stop screwing your user base and forcing us into other user friendlier apps.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Support Media Queries level 4 syntax improvements

CSS Media Quries Level 4 bring in a bunch of syntactic improvements. They make media queries much more readable and maintainable.

https://drafts.csswg.org/mediaqueries-4/#mq-syntax

Here's an example:

Before:

@media (min-width: 20em), not all and (min-height: 40em) {
    @media not all and (pointer: none) {

}
    }

After:

@media ((width >= 20em) or (height < 40em)) and (pointer) {

}

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  CSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Isolation

Used to declaratively create a new stacking context.

https://drafts.fxtf.org/compositing-1/#isolation

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  CSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. PLEASE put a "remember this decision" checkbox for Flash Player like Firefox

I could justify this all I want but in short: websites still use flash and some will never be updated. Some are for education as well. Just give us an option to enable the button/checkbox in the advanced settings.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Miscellaneous  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow imput in adres bar immediately after opening new tab

Meaning you dont have to click on the adres bar anymore after opening a new tab.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge Dev site  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option for ACTUAL request payload

The old version of this tool showed me the actual payload string but now shows the key/val pairs broken down and sorted alphabetically. This isn't useful for me any more. Please include an option to show the ACTUAL payload string as is built and sent.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Start implementing WebXR Device API

The WebXR Device API is the future of WebVR/WebAR and is a must have for Mixed Reality devices and all other platforms. Google has started implementing this in the canary version. Please don't get behind.

Links:
    - https://immersive-web.github.io/webxr/
    - https://github.com/immersive-web/webxr

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. [EPUB Reader] single-column, scrollable chapters (an additional contents display option)

For the guide books that contain a lot of pictures (for example, various guides), the automatic switch between the single column and two column view is not parctical, because it keeps the figures relatively small. What's worse, sometimes the bottom part of the pictures is clipped by the bottom edge of the browser window.

See this sample EPUB guide: http://wjaworski.pl/inne/sample.epub

The solution, available in other EPUB readers (for example, in the iOS Ebooks) allows users to select the single-column, scrollable mode. It would be enough, if the reader shows the current chapter in this way (technically, chapters are the smallest…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Miscellaneous  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. CSS Speech module

New css 'speak' properties and more: https://drafts.csswg.org/css-speech/

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support navigator.keyboard.getLayoutMap() API

An API that returns a map which translates from `KeyboardEvent.code` values into a strings that can be shown to the user to identify each key.

This is not possible with existing web platform APIs because the value that should be shown to the user depends on the keyboard layouts that the user has installed and active.

WICG incubation spec: https://wicg.github.io/keyboard-map/

Note: there is some overlap between this and a previous feature request https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/257854-microsoft-edge-developer/suggestions/6508637-uievents-keyboard-query-apis

The previous request was based on an old proposal that is no longer being pursued in the standards bodies.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Don't steal my focus from a text box, especially if it's for a pop-up to make recommendations for things I may not want.

Don't take the focus from a text box or user entry when pop-ups show up. It make the user experience very annoying. It should leave the focus on the text box the user is using and/or actively typing in so that they can finish their standard task.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make edge more one hand friendly on Android.

Edge on Android is freakin awesome, but a little more refinement will make edge even more enjoyable to use.

1. Move the home button to the navigation bar instead of having it at the to near the address bar.
    2. Make the hub more easier to reach, It is up top which make it hard to reach on big phones.
    3. On the tab page, bring the Tab selection header to the bottom.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable Migration of Password from Firefox/Chrome or at least via a XML file into Edge

Enable Migration of Password from Firefox/Chrome or at least via a XML file into Edge. Chrome/Firefox lets you export the password to a XML File and this can be used to import the same into Edge. This is the main thing that is keeping me away from using Edge.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. RegExp Lookbehind Assertions

Lookbehind assertions are now part of the ECMAScript specification. Google's V8 has had an implementation of it for a while now.

See: https://github.com/tc39/proposal-regexp-lookbehind

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Issues with pronunciation of words when using Read Aloud feature.

There are some issues with pronunciation of specific words when using the Read Aloud feature.
    Examples:
    Walkthrough
    SSIS
    SSAS
    SQL
    SQL." (gets read as "es kew el dot", but just the capitalisation should be read, not the period.)

Also, American dates get read incorrectly (08.12.18 can be read as 8th of December or 12th of August depending on the language of the page).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. "extension permission to use this extension type"

Hello,
    The process of getting permission to use the appx extension type (which seems to be required in order to publish an edge extension) is blocked by Microsoft. It is unclear why I don't get permission and I didn't receive any response on my questions for about three weeks now. My customers are waiting however and I did pay Microsoft so I do expect support to get the extension published.
    My extensions store ID is 9P16GP71KWZT.
    The chrome version of the extension is available in the chrome store.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Extensions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Edge Developer

Feedback and Knowledge Base