How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Allow Edge to be updated on its own

Microsoft isn’t updating Edge via the Store as originally promised. Edge updates seem to be held back for major new versions of Windows 10, unlike Windows 10’s other included apps, which are updated more regularly. A good example is the big Nov 2015 Windows update which is the only way to get Edge 25 with EdgeHTML 13 including the drag & drop file fix.

As a web developer I can safely assume Firefox and Chrome users are on the latest version (we don't support the versions pre auto-update). I can't for Edge because major Windows updates are non-trivial and not always installed. Edge was supposed to end the nightmare of multiple IE versions, but in a way it's actually worse.

2,481 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jade Ohlhauser shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft - Since IE 6 you're making web developers lives miserable. It's time that you align with the standards and stop lagging behind. With the advent of emscripten, asmjs and WASM, more and more products are porting C++ code, the standards are updated frequently and there's a real need for frequent browser updates. If you're looking to maintain or increase the ~8% market share, you'll have to step up. Please consider.

• Ferdy Christant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is my biggest pet peeve right now. In this last year, I've finally seen the Edge team commit and pick up a lot of important issues that consist of core new web technologies with many votes. So the direction and focus overall seems positive.

The tediously slow release cycle completely evaporates this positive movement. Major releases containing these essential web tech updates are a 6 month wait, and then we still can't use the tech because we rely on customers doing these huge updates. What does that make it? A 9-12 month wait to use a feature?

Aren't you embarrassed that your very own invention "CSS grids" is launched almost together by all major browsers except Edge?

You're building the right features. Finally. But it's no use if you don't release them. Release them as early as you can, and stop the Windows update dependency. Speed up!

I've been very excited about the next major release but it's taking so long that it's like waiting for baby to be born.

• Cédric Belin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS Edge is an excellent browser, yet I am still obliged to regularly tell my customers: install Chrome or Firefox. In fact, nothing has changed since IE 11 was abandoned : updating the OS to get the latest version is an option that most of my customers simply can't do.

And waiting 30-40 minutes in order to get the latest version while it takes less than 5 minutes with other browsers... It's insane.

• bystander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company is still running on Win 10 RTM.
        Not being able to upgrade Edge makes web dev a nightmare as I have to do everything in VMs with more recent Win 10 releases.

• Jade Ohlhauser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

https://mspoweruser.com/rumour-microsoft-to-fix-edges-biggest-problem-with-redstone-3/

"...according to a new report from Neowin.net, sourced from insiders, Microsoft will be addressing this in the September Redstone 3 Windows 10 update. The app is heading to the store, and this would allow Microsoft to make as many updates as needed to the Edge browser to make it more competitive, an approach we saw working to great effect with the Groove music client, though of course there are no guarantees this will indeed be the case.

Of course, many apps rely on the stability of the Edge rendering engine, and Microsoft has said last year that even though they may update the browser independently, they are still likely to save rendering engine updates for major versions."

• Claude Pache commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

“As a web developer I can safely assume Firefox and Chrome users are on the latest version...” Uh, as a web developer, I surely know that a significant proportion of Firefox and Chrome installations are out-of-date, even some of them are obsolete for more than a year.

• Matthias Kurz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"... but the engine of Edge will always be updated with Windows Update."
        So does this mean also in future the EdgeHTML engine will be updated like only once or twice per year? This sucks. Compare this to the six weeks release cycle that Firefox and Chrome follow.

• AJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% needs to be updated outside of the OS - I don't care if it's updated in Windows Update or Store Update, but it needs to be independent of the OS. My company is on 1511 and will be for 12+ months because of the required SCCM upgrades to support 1607+, so we are stuck on OEM 1511 Edge 13... just like we are stuck on IE 11... no wonder why all my users just want Chrome.

• Art commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

meant to say "edge versions*" and "force updates" as in background updates so the end user doesn't need to know. And I would say this common experience should be updated monthly or so, even if this month only :placeholder-shown was added etc.

• Art commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make the version of Rendering in Edge irrelevant. Do this by updating the rendering engine to a common engine across all edge version, and force updates if the user connects to the internet.

I'm not talking about bringing the Shell UI / Extensions / new big technologies etc to all platforms at one time(right now anyway), instead I'm talking about the latest common support for css, javascript, html etc. There shouldn't be a reason that when the dev team brings ":placeholder-shown" to the "Edge experience", that means ANY user using Edge should also have that new support the next time they use their browser. Call it the "One Continuous Microsoft Edge Rendering Experience" if you want :P (I'm not talking just Win10 either)

• Nils commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice to get a comment from Microsoft on this issue, as it is pretty crucial to modern development. Otherwise it seems like the post-IE era is pretty similar to the regular IE area.

• Jade Ohlhauser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Paul Thurrott: Microsoft, It’s Time to Treat Edge Like a Real App
        https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/75945/microsoft-time-treat-edge-like-real-app

"Because Microsoft’s new Edge web browser is stuck on the Windows 10 upgrade schedule, it has been updated infrequently in the past year, and it still lags behind the competition. Microsoft, it’s time to fix this problem and make Edge an app. And then just update the **** out of it going forward."

• Grzegorz Wiktorowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far I understand Microsoft Edge is in WUA technology the same as Weather, Mail, Finance, Sport and Maps apps They are updated in the month cycle. It seems Edge is so deeply tied up to OS that the story looks similar to IE. There are too many quirks in Edge so waiting 6-7 months for the release is unacceptable.

• PaintNinja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe it's important that Microsoft Edge can be updated separately from the OS, as otherwise those who are having difficulties updating to a newer Windows 10 build don't hold back web developers overtime. Also, small security or feature additions to Microsoft Edge aren't trivial if a whole new OS build needs to be installed to be able to take advantage of them.

• Justin DynamicD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my support to this idea. The release cycle for Edge is unacceptable. Decouple it from Windows 10 and let it get updated as it's own project.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base