How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Website shortcuts on PC desktop using Edge?

With Edge have you dropped the great IE feature of being able to drag and drop a shortcut for a website to our PC desktops for future quick and easy access? I and everyone I know are so used to saving our most visited websites to our desktops as shortcuts and are most annoyed to find that we can't do this with your new Edge browser - please include this feature in Edge otherwise we will have no alternative other than to revert to using IE11 (some of us have already done this).

54 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    C Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another reason I don't use Edge. My guess for why they haven't address this, is data mining. They can track what you're bookmarking when you use the way Edge provides, and they can monetize that information. If they allowed you to save a favorite locally then you'd be bypassing their data mining goals they've set with Windows 10.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. This one feature prevents me from using Edge as my primary browser. Back to Chrome and Firefox for me.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yep the feature is pretty useful don't know why the heck they didn't implement it on edge. There is no excuse to this action.
        Other than that it is very annoying to be forced to name the shortcuts in the favorite bar. As form most sites it has a very distinguishable icon that can be easily associated with the web you want. And forcing us to put a name in it will only take space from the favorite bar. I like them to have just icons for my most used one so i can save space in the favorite bar.

I will probably go back to chrome. Edge is faster than others to load stuff because it prioritize what will be loaded first. As you can see when opening a youtube video, when it loads first the video only then it loads the rest. It is a strong feature but with no meaning if everything else is a ****!!!

• CFuller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe that CSmith only has 20 votes on this issue! And Mr. Love, doesn't understand what they are asking for???!
        Why would any sane person want to pin a URL to the start menu for a PC??
        The Developers need to put in the old IE Menu bar, with the option to send a URL to the desktop.
        It is much easier to just click on a URL shortcut Icon, on the desktop or folder, than open up the web browser, click on favorites, search for the URL, then click it.
        Having the shortcut to the URL on the desktop is a one, or two click if you are not using one click, to get to the website faster.
        I remember when IE didn't have that option. But the Developers put in after a while. It can't be that hard of a program add feature. I have been using MS since it was DOS, Windows since it was 3.1. The "Better" the try to make Windows it seems the more they make it more difficult to work with.

• Chris Love commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently you can pin a URL to the start menu. I know not exactly what you are asking for.

My personal guess is as Edge improves the Hosted Web App/Progressive Web App story you will have this feature, but on steroids.

• Peter Fattore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried to give Edge a shot, but I use browser to create shortcut files when organizing my files/downloads/etc. I can manually create a link and copy/paste the URL from Edge, but that's a hassle.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because of this feature being intentionally not included I see no reason to use edge asset all. I never used ie, so I'll just keep using Chrome.

Feedback and Knowledge Base