How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Negociate with other major browsers maufacturers over a common IL

I think Microsoft, Google and Mozilla should find a table where to sit together and develop a common IL for their browsers. I'm tired of being trapped in javascript and this will leverage a whole lot of languages flavors to be used on the browser scripting side. Furthermore it will be probably easier to cross-browse, to keep a background compatibility and to address security and it will enhance, for sure, the productivity. The learning curves for programmers coming from different languages - that would find something more familiar to work with - will decrease, also the attraction to the client-side coding.
I think that if half of the effort spent in developing more and more libraries for javascript, to make it decent, would be spent in this direction, in a very short time the VM's for all the major browsers can be done over a common IL, and our chains will broke. It's absolutely abnormal to be forced to load tons of external libraries to make a language efficient, not to mention all criticism around javascript.
And, of course, one of the languages that will compile to this IL should be javascript.
Is it so impossible?

103 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Horatiu RipaHoratiu Ripa shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base