How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Support ChaCha20/Poly1305 cipher suites in Edge/Schannel

ChaCha20/Poly1305 cipher suites are considered as the best stream cipher replacement for the obsolete RC4 stream cipher suites. It's also the only AEAD alternative to AES-GCM cipher suites right now.

It's already supported by Google Chrome, Android and Opera and just recently patch with ChaCha20/Poly1305 landed in OpenSSL library.
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/bd989745b7a4796dceff89d93b6b7ac1561c6227

I think it would be helpful to support it in Schannel and Edge as well.

175 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Martin SuchanMartin Suchan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An even more general solution would be for Microsoft to expose a .Net interface to add a custom cipher to the cipher suite support for Schannel. So if I had a C# implementation of chacha20/poly1305, or any future cipher algorithm, I would like to be able to implement the generic cipher interface to add support in Schannel for the new algorithm IIS/Edge etc.

• Bernd PBernd P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also strongly recommend the Addition of ChaCha20-Poly1305 because recently the AES Suites are the only usable modern Cipher Suites within TLS currently . MS also should consider the removal of 3DES Suites (which have no forward Secrecy) on the medium Haul as well as finally remove RC4 and weaker Algorithms everywhere this is possible. Unluckliy there are still too many Servers around providing NO Forward Secrecy and on TLS 1.0 only so we cannot quit using RSA Suites w/o AEAD for now.

Feedback and Knowledge Base