How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Will `proxy` API be supported in Microsoft Edge extensions

I currently manage a top Proxy extension in Chrome, and will like to port it to the new Microsoft Edge.

However, the `proxy` API seem to be missing/not implemented. Is this true?

Will this fact change? Any timeline?

508 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steven G shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hasyidan Paramananda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, because it easier to on off it with extension than going through windows network setting. For Our General User who don't know how to use or don't have basic in computer, opening proxy setting in network on windows it's hard and too complicated and if we use detailed setting, it will take their time too much...

• Wesley Ranger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, there are lots of users who need to visit different sites via different proxies. Using a *.pac file is not convenient enough, especially when you have to switch the option rapidly.
        Believe me, that is not for developing purposes, but for regular users (e.g. for those in the mainland China).

This may be the key reason which dives the users to chose Chrome or Firefox rather than Edge. At least for me.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is why Microsoft keep losing browser market all the time. Such a basic feature had never been implemented.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
        I would have wanted to convert the Nordvpn extension to the used on Edge, but the API

• shiweiliang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Steven! What's your extension in Chrome? I really need proxy extensions on Edge like SwitchyOmega, but found that Edge still relies on the system level proxy settings. So sad...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like this to be implemented mainly because Browsec requires a proxy API to be able to work on MS Edge.

• Rustam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any further information about this API? FF and Chrome already supports it

• Kang M.X. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Steven! What's your extension in Chrome? I really need proxy extensions on Edge like SwitchyOmega, but found that Edge still relies on the system level proxy settings. So sad...

If you have some good news, I'm willing to offer my hand. :P

Feedback and Knowledge Base