How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Support browser_url_overrides to allow customized net tab page, etc. (since users can't set their own choice of new tab page...)

Edge currently offers very few options for controlling the new tab experience, and the ones it does have are... not popular, judging by the Windows Insider feedback. Allowing extensions to override things like New Tab page would simultaneously address this concern and allow more Chrome extensions to be ported, making Edge a much nicer browser to use.

163 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris H shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to use Momentum Dashboard as my New Tab page. I use it all the time on Chrome.

Please let momentum access new tab rights. A lot of people I know want to make the change to edge. However, momentum is a big part of what they use, hence preventing them from making the change. Please allow momentum. Please

Please let momentum access new tab rights. A lot of people I know want to make the change to edge. However, momentum is a big part of what they use, hence preventing them from making the change. Please allow momentum. Please

• Zachary Enos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to switch over to Edge. I've noticed that it performs quite a bit better than Chrome on my new laptop. My only hesitation has been the lack of compatibility with my favorite Chrome apps, including Momentum. Please allow apps to override the new tab experience so Momentum can develop an app for Edge.

• David Karlsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's ridiculous that this isn't even planned. I don't understand how this is even an issue. No other browser is missing this crucial feature.. It's what is forcing me to stay with Chrome/FF/Opera/Vivaldi/Whatever.

since this is not supported and support not planned, what's the alternative approach to override new tab content? It's the core of the extension I'm trying to port, already in Chrome and Firefox stores.

• swart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The default new tab page on Edge is terrible, and it's great that Chrome lets you customize this. I would like this for Edge.

Feedback and Knowledge Base