How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Please be careful with making Edge Chromium-based

I've recently read articles about the engine of Edge is being replaced by Chromium.

I don't think this is a good idea. Microsoft Edge manages to do what no browser can do. It plays online HTML5 videos with the speed and low-resource need comparable to a native video player (like VLC or Media Player Classic).

This is YouTube playback in Chrome and Edge compared, on the same hardware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu1VuKTCOK8

Chrome and Chromium are famous about having a very catastrophic, bloated multimedia backend, especially when it comes to video playback. GPU acceleration is hardly compatible with any video hardware. Also it needs 2x-3x as much resources to do the same task, play the same video.

Please do not force us to waste a lot of CPU and GPU resources in your new Chromium-based browser. Either please optimize Google's bloated rendering or simply do not switch to Chromium.

34 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    highbaser shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today I tried Facebook's web UI with the latest version of Edge and the latest version of Chrome. Edge is much more performant, faster, scrolls smoothly and more responsive than Chrome. And it's not because Edge has a semi-animated scrolling effect when smooth scrolling is enabled. It's just seamless. Without any jagging during preloading further posts to an infinite scroll area. Chrome is slower, has almost no usable hardware acceleration at all with ATI drivers and it's a step backwards to use it. It is a very bad idea to switch to Chromium. EdgeHTML should be kept.

• X. L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, please don't switch to Chromium. A lot of people love MS Edge, and want to use it. It's important that there are as many independent implementations of web engines as possible, to make the web standards more robust and more thoroughly tested. I really don't want to see Google Chromium to become too big, so that Google can solely dictate what the web spec looks like.

Feedback and Knowledge Base