How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Dock tools vertically

This feature would add the ability to dock F12 to the left side of the IE window.

Proposed Design
- Extend the current horizontal explorer bar system that F12 uses to cover the vertical scenario
- Additional dropdown for docking to indicate the different options (right, bottom, left)
- No top docking as the explorer bar system doesn't support it (and it's less important as windows are commonly side by side not bottom to top)
- Not mirrored (i.e. no support for RTL)
- Each tool in F12 will have to adjust their layout to cope with the change

179 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andy Sterland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paska Houso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Year 2017 (no need for 2123) and someone inside Microsoft is still coupling Windows releases to Browser releases. It must really be 1995.

Someone in Microsoft is expecting me (and many others) to update the entire Operating System to a preview release to simply update the browser to dock vertically. Brilliant thinking.

And still several months to be deployed, 3.5 years after the proposal was made. It must be some kind of master plan which escapes the rest of us.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop whining people ...
        1) Open Edge and hit Win+LeftArrow
        2) hit F12 and hit Undock
        3) hit Win+RightArrow
        4) done

I'm about done with IE/Edge. This should not even need discussion. ALL other browsers allow this. There is WAY more space on modern wide screens horizontally than there is vertically. I have no clue why a company as big as MS would force users of their browser to eat up half the vertical space with developer tools when they could easily show the full browser plus much more useful develop tools view on the side. Ridiculous.

• Not Dave Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*sigh*
        The year is 2123, citizens wonder their spotless utopian cities in shiny silver jump suits, hover boards are finally a thing, climate change has been solved, the internetz are now beamed directly onto the inside of your eyeballs. IE still can't dock tools to the right.

• Nunya Smith, Esquire. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Idea has been closed as inappropriate for the following reasons: "makes too much sense", "should have had a v8 (javascript engine)", and "Users: Get Bent".

• Abhinav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With widescreen (and dual screen )monitors gaining more popularity with developers (And gamers) - I think it's more intuitive that the more used feature is going to be vertical docking rather than the current horizontal docking, right ?

Please implement.

Maybe someday. Issue closed, no more voting. I don't even know what to say. Microsoft cares.

I removed Microsoft Edge (ME) and never use it again to debug my website on it, so all projects that I did, do, and will do for my customers may not work well on ME. Goodbye ME!

• iwhp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This proposal was submitted in July 2014 and Microsoft has seen it in February 2015 (does seen it mean they gave this request a priority?). I would have assumed, that one year for this feature should have be enough time to implement it... For the time being, Chrome does a very good job.

• Gabb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, requested over 6 months ago. So where is this? Absolutely stunned that your own "developers" did not see the need for this. This is not 1990 any more microsoft...

• Alvaro Dias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't wait for you to add support to dock F12 tools vertically. Till then, I'm only using chrome!

• Christian Schiffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you want developers to include Edge in our portfolio of browsers we support you might want to do it sooner. I do not have the time to muck around with these tools so as long as they don't work properly I won't support Edge. That would be very sad because Edge seams to have the potential to become a great browser.

Also if you wait till after the release of Windows 10, users will see sites that don't work properly in Edge because of this and fall back to their previously preferred browsers, probably never giving Edge another chance.

• Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree! I can't stand using the developer tools in the bottom position. In Chrome, I use the vertical developer tools to more easily test responsive sites (simple drag the bar to decrease the rendered size). Definitely need to see this happen.

Feedback and Knowledge Base