How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

3,046 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it happen on IE too for better compatibility when developing website.

• Sheila Tanner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't really think we need another element for images, but I'm voting for this anyway. Think of this as my vote for the functionality of responsive images. So, yes, what nn5 (and Jason Grigsby) said.

• Chris Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to having better syntax, <picture> is important because it makes deploying new image formats trivial, just as it is with <video> and <audio>: add <source type="…"> and let the browser decide rather than having to maintain and debug server-side hacks.

• Bill Watling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Picture element has just as much backwards compatability as srcSet. It also has more value in allowing for the best scaling of design elements and for image legibility in different view sizes and orientations. Picture element is a MUST moving forward.

• Joe Duarte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could be the picture element or features that supplemental it. It's not obvious how to deploy JPEG XR files so that IE loads them while other browsers load webp, JPEG 2000, jpeg, etc. The only MS documentation I see on XR is for desktop development (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh707223(v=vs.85).aspx)

Embedded in this suggestion, I want to encourage to revisit the JPEG XR format, improve or iterate it if possible, and vigorously market it with new reference libraries in C, C#, C++, Java, Python, Go, etc. It's just been neglected with no energy, no reason for anyone to use it. It's better than JPEG 2000, and certainly JPEG itself. There's no reason for us to still be using JPEGs. Be Microsoft. Lean forward. Lead.

(Or just focus on BPG: http://bellard.org/bpg/)

• Noah Collins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The srcset attribute satisfies a lot of use cases. But the picture element is necessary when we need explicit control over image selection - this is the best way to solve problems like scaling design elements within an image for legibility at different viewport sizes and orientations.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this idea but Although the is a great idea, having IMG tags support srcSet provides more value because of backwards compatibility

Feedback and Knowledge Base