How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

CSS Variables

Introduces cascading variables as a new primitive value type that is accepted by all CSS properties, and custom properties for defining them.

Spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/css-variables/

5,870 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

57 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Travis Kaufman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, please make sure that programmatic updates to custom variables trigger style recalculations not only on elements and their children, but their *pseudo*-elements as well. For example, this codepen (http://codepen.io/traviskaufman/pen/jARYOR) does not work in Safari 9.1 because of this problem (fixed in 10 and TP) :)

• Alex Radulescu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please keep the promise of Edge and make a modern browser. Right now, MS IE&Edge is the last one not to implement it. There is a clear set of bonuses and a clear need for it, please implement it! I am saying this as part of a web consulting company, not as a individual.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I.E always getting issue regard css
    need to change there stander and follow the w3

• Yordis Prieto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All the browsers support this except Edge, Thank you Microsoft I really appreciated that! I am wondering why people are mad with you all the time?!?!?!?

I hope you listen! I hope!

• Sean Curtis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need support for this in Edge. It provides a really great API for elements in the shadow dom of a web component to inherit values for styles from the parent element in the light dom.

• Matt Coady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please get this out asap. There's a new feature we're working on and this will solve our issues.

• Chris Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use LESS for this. I CAN NOT use a pre-processor because the web-app I have written allows users to write an upload their own css files. Each client is able to create their own template html and LESS formatted css, upload it. Then the application injects the data into their template. The variables are used to wrap their css to prevent collisions with other css running on the site.

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The spec is a Candidate Recommendation now, and it looks like Edge may be last to ship among all the modern browsers.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to see this bumped up in priority, we're looking at developing a feature around this, and we're just going to have to tell Edge users its not supported in their browser. Now that all the other browsers are shipping support, Edge should try to get this in sooner.

Feedback and Knowledge Base