How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Custom Elements

Method for registering (creating) custom elements in script.

Spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/custom-elements/

13,945 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

137 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Templarian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There has to be a reason why this (and shadow dom) is on the backlog still. Is there a technical reason in Edge that makes this not feasible to adapt at this time.

Me and a few other devs expected they were going to announce support at MS Build, but nothing. It's definitely cool to see all the fancy VR/MR stuff presented, but to devs this should be ranked much higher and it seems to be ignored.

• Eric Pias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. We see the value of web components and are including them in our development strategy going forward. Edge performance using polyfills is a major concern. Please prioritize this.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely a crucial feature that's needed in the modern web. Let's make it happen :)

• noorsil karedia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, this was raised in 2014. I think MS is only focused on features no one wants to use, but missing out important features like this. Just saw ng-conf today, and was really disappointed to see that all the browsers support it except Edge. Funny part is, it still says "ON THE BACKLOG".

• Tolga Balci commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thoughts the tides had changed and Microsoft is no longer behind with these things? Come on Edge team, we need this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hopefully someone noticed the bad press at ng-conf 2018! Time to add custom elements

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now is the time to implement this. It is pretty sad that all the other browsers have this feature and edge is lagging behind. This is probably one of the most important features to move the web forward. It is disappointing to see no (visible) movement on this especially given the amount of time this spec has been around. It would be nice to see the team throw the developers a bone and give some sort of timeline or indication that this feature is actively being worked on.

• Jeremy Ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was loving Edge until I found this feature was not supported. Surely, this is a major let-down ?

Feedback and Knowledge Base