How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Drag and Drop Directories

Allows dragging and dropping entire folders using HTML5 Drag and Drop. Extends the DataTransferItem with a method to get a FileEntry/DirectoryEntry.

Spec: http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/DragAndDropEntries

701 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT]Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Aaron KurtzerAaron Kurtzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's frustrating: When I want to upload a folder of files to my OneDrive account, I have to install and use a competing browser. :(

• MBMB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Firefox also uses this... and sites like google drive, sway.com, and a few others allow it. weird how especially on sway.com edge does not support this

• Chris AdamsChris Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The full file system API is pretty complicated but the recurring common need we've encountered is just the ability to get filenames with paths. The FileEntry/DirectoryEntry features implemented in Chrome would be great but even something as simple as, say, `event.dataTransfer.recursiveFiles` giving a FileList containing all of the dropped files with .name including the path would be sufficient for most users and a lot less complicated.

• Paint_NinjaPaint_Ninja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Imagine the use of this on cloud services... Being able to upload a whole folder at once just by dragging it in rather than having to zip them and then upload

Feedback and Knowledge Base