How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Media Recorder

Encode audio and video streams in the browser.

Spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/mediastream-recording/

1,071 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • octavn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waiting for Media Recorder to ship in Edge and Safari so that we can retire the last piece of Flash and the entire infrastructure behind it needed to record video (Wowza, VPS, certificates, etc.).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the update on this? I have an app that has live streaming, watching and recording from the browser. We have to use MediaRecorder API and it works on Chrome, Firefox and Opera without problem. Is Edge ever going to be on par with other browsers? I don't understand why is Microsoft pouring so little resources in developing this Browser, it's still behind other browsers in too many important features...

• Mark Beeby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Edge can be a leading browser, its performance is fantastic and vastly nicer to use than IE, but constantly lagging in modern standards and specifications for years really harms developer good faith in Microsoft! I'm guessing Microsoft top brass are forcing the Edge team to with hold this from the user base?

Also our timeline for dropping flash is the end of 2018, because nobody wants that ******** anymore.

Our plan is to drop support for edge once we drop support for flash unless this feature is implemented. Also, it's embarrassing the only way to accomplish this right now is with an obsolete technology like Flash.

Come on MSFT. Just write this feature.

• kv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think edge will soon become the last browser with no support for this. I think it should be top priority for now.

• Cory Koski (CokoBWare) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our main business product requires the ability for users for record video from their browser. Currently I have to direct users to Chrome, FF, or Opera to do this. Edge only teases users that they can "see" the live video in the camera using the Media Recorder API, but not being to ACTUALLY record video feels like a sin to omit it in this browser, considering that it's a core feature of every other meaningful browser on the market. Our customers are business users, and have asked "Why doesn't this recording feature work in Windows 10?" I have to tell them sheepishly that they have to use alternative browsers, when their corporate policies say "No you must use Edge". That just looks bad on us as technology providers.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base