How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Service Worker

ServiceWorkers (formerly Navigation Controllers) are a new system that provides event-driven scripts that run independent of web pages. They are similar to SharedWorkers except that their lifetime is different and they have access to domain-wide events such as network fetches.

https://github.com/slightlyoff/ServiceWorker/

7,406 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT]Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard MaherRichard Maher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please be advised that, as promised/threatened, I have added the Trip Summary page and you can now map and replay your trip on Google Maps.

The new version of the code is at the same link https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Rmd3Rn8_hDNW1zSWRoXzBTclU

Can someone please try it on Edge 16?

Most important design/proposed-specification change is that TravelManager subscription should now be Client specific. The TravelEvent must contain the intended Client.id (TravelEvent.source.id). This means that the UA must monitor and filter GeoLocation updates per client. I have also added new demo functionality such as a Trip Summary that is displayed when you press the "Arrive" button. The trip can also be replayed onto Google Maps by pressing "Map Trip" or "Replay". If the last and next geolocation updates for the trip are both visible in the Map window then smooth Marker movement is achieved via CSS transitions.

*PLEASE* help Background GeoLocation get up and help Web Apps compete with Native Apps!

If there is something wrong with my TravelManager solution design then let me know. Tear holes in it!

• Jani MäkinenJani Mäkinen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a crucial part of the modern web, bring Edge to the same level with this please :) Great work on the browser so far!

• FredikFredik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry to nag, But it has taken a while now. I know it's a lot to implement but I think that you should start by partially supporting service worker now so we can start using it and not having to wait for every feature to come along. Otherwise it feels like we are going to have to wait another year. Some things we can polyfill ourself. Make a Minimum Viable Product (MVP)

I got a question is there some issue tracker i can follow? (like bugzilla or chromium bugs)
        The "Working on it" label is not so appealing

• Filip ChalupaFilip Chalupa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please is there any status update? How far are we from seeing service workers in at least the insider program? Last message is year old now.

• JimmyJimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

put new javascript api's on hold that can easily be polyfilled and work on fixing things like this please

@Jake Archibald *Please* stop blackballing Background Geolocation. Just try operating in a meritocracy for a change where the best ideas are approved by the best available minds. I know it was impertinent and insubordinate to attempt to bypass the W3C/IETF tentacles and go straight to engineering but please don't punish others for my folly!

WebApps *need* Background Geolocation if we are to compete at all with Native Apps. Uber, Dominos, Deliveroo, GrindR, Facebook, Maps and on and ON.

Stop this "Not invented here" nonsense and get on with it!

Service Workers are the conduit; just make it happen!

Are there no adults here?

• David Storey [MSFT]David Storey [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Richard Maher this is not the venue for debating what was discussed in working group face to face or issues with the spec. Please remain on topic.

Thank you for providing a link to background geolocation suggestion. People that support this will vote accordingly. We will take these votes into account when planning what features to work on in the future.

Look mate, I don't think johnny-come-lately Microsoft should be lecturing anyone about the definition of ServiceWorker functionality.

Once again, this is the link to the *very* recent F2F Tokyo session specifically and exclusively dealing with Service Worker issues. Yet, from that very agenda: -

Foreign fetch

Foreign fetch vs non-credentialed requests
        consider allowing static routing only for "foreign fetch" for anonymous requests
        Is there any way for a web page to see if their requests will be intercepted by a foreign fetch handler?
        Allow overlapping scopes
        clientId on ForeignFetchEvents
        registerForeignFetch({ origins, scope }) optional
        Define procedure to convert options object of <code>sw.register()
        Expose fragments cross-origin for subresources
        Foreign fetch and no-referrer Referrer Policy
        CORS pre-flight for foreign fetch
        Installing a foreign SW as part of a subresource request
        preload for Foreign Fetch

Fetch & streams

Consider mechanisms to bypass the service worker for things that we know won't be in it's cache
        Upload streams
        Fetch cancellation/control/observing

• David Storey [MSFT]David Storey [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Richard Maher I don’t have a narrative. This vote is for the specification listed. There are separate voted for Fetch, Push, and so on. I don't see any APIs listed for background geolocation in the link you provided. Like I mentioned previously, if you want to show developer interest and spot for Background Geolocation then create a feedback item and have people vote for it, like they have for other features on this site. Without that we have no way of knowing if they want that feature.

@David, I am sorry that the facts do not support your (and W3C's and IETF's) narrative of Background-Geolocation being completely divorced from Service-Workers. One merely needs to peruse the Tokyo F2F agenda (link posted in previous) to see just how much time background-fetch monopolized proceedings. To pretend via smoke and mirrors that "Fetch" is an intrinsic part of Service Workers but "Background Geolocation" is not would be to treat the user-base as absolute fools :-(

Apart from that hypocrisy, let me please draw everyone's attention to the current Service Worker specification: - https://www.w3.org/TR/service-workers/#extensibility

David, the fact that you, and others, may not be able to see the obvious plug-n-play correlation between this Service Worker Extensibility and Background GeoLocation is neither here nor there.

Edge users voting for Service Workers ARE voting for background-geolocation, background Fetch and Background Notifications and so on.

The cynical attempt to ring-fence funding and development effort toward the pet-projects of the privileged few is not something I will stand idly by and witness!

Hi @Richard Maher. This request is for Service Worker. To not dilute the discussion and make it clear what is being voted on, please open a separate feedback item for Background Geolocation. Thanks!

For those hoping that W3C/IETF will wake up to the background geolocation requirement, I'm afraid the answer is "Not this year" :-(
        https://github.com/w3c/ServiceWorker/issues/1053

Still, at least the sponsors are getting value for their money and quality F2F time in Tokyo: -
        https://twitter.com/jaffathecake/status/848018836922093570

You just can't be that productive via email or a conference call!

Hav no idea what Microsoft representatives (Ali Alabbas, Jatinder Mann) were doing there

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base