How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Web Animations JavaScript API

A unified model for supporting animation and synchronization on the Web platform.

http://www.w3.org/TR/web-animations/

1,934 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT]Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Angular2 web animations will be based on this standard, while polyfilling for unsupported browsers.

Please consider implementing this awesome standard.

• Kevin DoughtyKevin Doughty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am un-voting for Web-Animations. The short explanation is I think you should wait for Houdini Properties and Values. The long explanation is naive optimism does not mean my desired features will get implemented.

Relative animation could be built on their primitive methods. They helped me a lot in getting it working. But later they actually deleted the entire Web-Animations repo and started over. Surely this had nothing to do with my having left a github comment pleading for completion of one line of code which dubiously listed me as a contributor. I can't understand their reasoning for deleting the repo.

Then the API completely fragmented. Now there are four different polyfills, but one spec. They introduced immutable classes to go along with their mutable ones, when I think it should have been only immutable to begin with. Groups were deferred to a nebulous Level 2 and additive support was dropped from the new polyfills, although they claim it is part of Level 1. So now I write my own rAF based animation from scratch.

Houdini Properties and Values addresses the issue of property value change. In its apply function there is the possibility that animations could be triggered. Although deleted, this is mentioned in a comment of an earlier draft. Since they declined to provide a way to automatically convert from absolute to relative values, additive transitions will not be possible without this. Thus, I think you should wait just a little bit more.

https://drafts.css-houdini.org/date/2015-06-11T17:42:15/css-properties-values-api/#Notes

• Tobi ReifTobi Reif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope that all browsers will support this important API, in a highly performant way.

• DarrenDarren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A consistent approach to animations is definitely a must have - as developers we can't be building multiple approaches to the same solution. The web is lagging behind with regards to animations on mobile devices, when the devices themselves are built to provide an immersive, interactive environment.

• Ben BoyleBen Boyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IE team is great at ******* the kinks out of specs, would love to see web animations robustly documented and implemented!

• Kevin DoughtyKevin Doughty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Web-Animations supports additive animation. There is a usage pattern for additive, where many concurrent animations on the same property run relative to the underlying value. This is a superior technique for simple transitions, in particular when interrupting or reversing. Formerly, one would simply replace an animation with a new one than continued where the previous left off. But if all animations have a destination value of zero, it permits seamless blending and gives beautiful curves, without mutating, all built from more primitive methods.

Others are very excited about what is possible with an advanced timeline. Please help make this happen. Thanks.

• kertiskertis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a must-have feature,a dream come true for all JavaScript developers .

Feedback and Knowledge Base