How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

object-fit and object-position

CSS properties that control the position and size of replaced content within the content box.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-images-3/#the-object-fit

4,153 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT]Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

75 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ben ThussBen Thuss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please implement this. As a visual designer it is a very useful property that unfortunately I cannot use due to lack of IE/EDGE support

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had to use background images instead of image tags since Microsoft is so awesome.
        Thanks for the extra work.

• CaelanCaelan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ferdy, well said!

Come on Microsoft, you're a disgrace to the browser race!

• Ferdy ChristantFerdy Christant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today I checked the change log of the latest Edge release. And I'm wondering if there's a point to this feedback process at all.

Explain to me why a highly experimental feature like WebVR that almost no developer will use or need right away has been released, whilst at least 10 fundamental web technologies in which you are directly lacking compared to other browsers, that have thousands of votes, are nowhere in sight?

I'm sure you have limited resources and cannot take on everything, which is exactly the point: pick the things that matter. The overwhelming feedback from developers is to fix the basics. Edge will never be taken seriously if it continues to be the browser in which nothing works.

• andrewandrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was hoping EDGE was going to redeem itself after IE. What a mistake that was all other browsers are compatible with object-fit what a big let down.

• Al B. SureAl B. Sure commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You see the anger in these comments? It's justified. Stop with stupid gimmicks of being able to write on a web page and make a functional browser so we can display our web page as intended like other real browsers. This is the very reason I never ever suggest using a MS browser of any kind. I go out of my way to note on my site to use any other browser than Edge or IE. If I detect a MS browser I provide links to Chrome. I hate MS browsers with the utmost passion and any project manager on the Edge team needs to be fired now. Balmer screwed up Windows 8. C'mon we don't need your browser. Stick with the OS and let us have other to chose from. I'm just digusted that this will never change with your web presence.

• ColinColin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've always wondered what it must feel like for a developer to work for Microsoft. Always behind. Always worst. People always angry at you because your product is so bad.

• AlekseyAleksey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once IE was a problem for web-developers for being always behind. Now we see Edge took the baton. Hope the developent really will begin soon

• LeaLea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm fed up of hacking IE all the time to get it to do what the other browsers do already!!

Just do it already! Ask every other browser vendor for help if you can't! How hard can it be!

This kind of ignorance of a feature that every other browser has supported for years is the sort of thing that causes me -- a web dev who works on Microsoft sites -- to discourage use of Edge and IE wherever possible, as frequently as possible. Your development should be *highly* prioritizing the features that are in that situation, where Edge is the only odd-one-out, if you want devs to stop guiding people away from you.

There are other ways of achieving the desired behavior of object-fit, but they're not as effective, and certainly not as simple.

as a member of the UI/Front End Dev community, we strive for cross browser consistency, there s a reason that almost every other browser has support for this: Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, iOS Safari, Opera Mini, Android Browsers, and Chrome for Android. Not sure why IE 11 and Edge does not.

I would love to see this priority elevated

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base