How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

object-fit and object-position

CSS properties that control the position and size of replaced content within the content box.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-images-3/#the-object-fit

4,214 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

88 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

god ******.....the extra work i have to do to make things work in your piece of **** browser.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement object-fit and object-position ASAP! We are a photography website that relies on the accurate display and cropping of our images. On Internet Explorer, our images display incorrectly without these properties. When our site users ask about this, we have to tell them to leave Internet Explorer / Edge and use a different browser because these properties are not implemented but are supported by all other browsers. http://caniuse.com/#search=object-fit

• Jordan Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, please, PLEASE implement this! It's becoming more and more often used since it's part of modern design trends and it's one of the few things making a visual difference that Edge doesn't support! Come on "latest web standard", let's do this!!!!! Please! :)

• Steve Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it seems that without this images do NOT obey flexbox etc if parent does not have specific size set. In other words this is only way to get get responsive image layouts

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with everyone here - this really needs to happen, and fast. Edge is being left in the dust missing features like this.

• Ferdy Christant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is an essential layout technique for modern web design. Furthermore, in the case of image grids, it provides a superior SEO and performance score compared to the various other approaches and hacks one needs to use to accomplish such layouts.

You're the only browser to not support it. It's been voted on unlike anything else. What are you waiting for? The correct priority for this feature is "should have been implemented 2 years ago", not "medium".

• Matthew Wilcox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! Edge is the only browser holding me back on this now, it is incredibly useful for grid based layouts where 'component blocks' consist of a paired image and text block that need to be adjusted responsively.

• Jen Simmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I dig deeper into CSS Grid, and the kinds of designs we will likely want to do, I'm finding myself getting very addicted to object-fit. I couldn't do many of the layouts I'm making without it. Here's an example: http://labs.jensimmons.com/examples/image-gallery-2.html To experience what I mean, test it in Firefox Nightly, toggling object-fit on and off. Without object-fit, the images lose their aspect ratio. With floats, we typically only specify one dimension. It looks like Grid rows will give us compelling reasons to size images in two dimensions. Thus, needing object-fit. I'd love to see this in Edge very soon, and backported to IE11.

• Matt Barron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be implemented asap imho - super useful for using standard img tags instead of having to use background-images for covers. Come on microsoft!

• Marcos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go to Google, search Firefox, download it. That's all that the people needs.

• Nisim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

go to google search for chrome, download it... it should be fine.

Feedback and Knowledge Base