How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

FileWriter

Enables writing to files from web applications.

http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/file-system/file-writer.html

713 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Robert Holt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this could be achieved by treating it almost like the old css editor add-on in Firefox, with the exception that instead of the file saving to your local file, then having to be uploaded to the live server, you would just log into your live server, and the editor would automatically save to the "live" file in real time. Of course, as always, make a backup first (which could optionally be an option in your settings menu)!

• Luke McDougald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely useful for Windows 10 S and Windows 10 Mobile, allowing portability from popular Chrome and Chrome OS-targeted applications. Allows Windows 10 S features to become a superset of Chrome OS.

• Sondre Bjellås commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an app developed in HTML5 on the Chrome Web Store, which downloads and saves photos. With this feature on Edge, it would be possible to port it to Edge.

• Andreas Linnert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What files are going to be writable with this feature?

I'm still missing the functionality to open files in a web application and write new content back to that file. Or doing so with an entire directory. Just like Windows (with JS) or Chrome apps allow me to do.

I have a few ideas for web applications. But many of them rely on the ability to write files back to the file system - without a download dialog or similar.

Is this possible with the considered FileWriter?

Feedback and Knowledge Base