How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Server-Sent Events (EventSource)

Enables push notifications from the server received as DOM events.

http://dev.w3.org/html5/eventsource/

4,957 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT]Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

80 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dan JarvisDan Jarvis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am seriously shocked to land here, being 2017, to learn of no SSE for Edge. Seriously? Holy ****. I thought Microsoft was over this whole "let's be that weird substandard browser with awkward workarounds" type of thing. SSE has been around for a long time and is often favored other other more complicated solutions.

• Dave ElliottDave Elliott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Developing major IoT application to be used world-wide... will tell users not to use Microsoft browsers due to lack of SSE.

• Eric GrangeEric Grange commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of support for SSE is embarassing after all these years and all those votes.

Polyfills just result in pounding the servers with polling requests. Websockets do not scale as well as SSE.

So here, IE/Edge users end up with degraded functionality, and a message to switch to a more "mainstream" browser.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this, im web dev and im sad when i need to call my users to use other browsers (Chrome, FF, Opera, Safari etc.)

• Lars KemmannLars Kemmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, absolutely please also add the custom headers support described in the WHATWG HTML spec GitHub issue that @Sergey and @Matthias mention. This simple addition to a well-established standard can breathe fresh life into an already-excellent concept: "a really nice *standard* for implementing simple web-based queue-consumers with out of the box at least once consumption semantic" -- which is a critical building block for modern reactive web apps.

• René MercureRené Mercure commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many shared servers do not allow use of websocket, but do work perfectly with SSE.
        whatwg should reconsider the "legacy" status of that feature and Edge should speed up the development of this feature as they'll lose support from many websites.

• Mauro Pereira JuniorMauro Pereira Junior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, if you open our application in Edge it will show the following message:

"THIS APP IS ONLY SUPPORTED BY CHROME, FIREFOX AND SAFARI"

This happens only because of the lack of SSE feature in the Edge Browser.

• Lars KemmannLars Kemmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It may be "legacy" but it's a proven piece of web infrastructure that makes very efficient use of existing technologies. I greatly prefer the simplicity of SSE over something like Web Sockets -- a heavyweight bolt-on that certainly has its place but, as mentioned by others, comes with a lot of overhead and risk: firewalls, complexity, etc.

• Ryan HanthornRyan Hanthorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Edge has unfortunately lagged behind every other browser in terms of implementing standard features. I'm a big fan of standards and I'm not going to spend a huge number of dev hours compensating for a lack of standard features every other browser supports but one. So officially, I don't support Edge. But, I would like to.

This feature in particular is necessary to easily develop real time sites. I'd very much like to see it implemented as soon as possible.

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@John
        please, only remove Safari from your list of "modern" browsers, because it supports even less standards than Edge, it's on the level of IE11 that already outdated and is not being developed
        Whichever feature I check on caniuse.com and test - there is a big chance that it doesn't work in Safari

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSE has been supported by most browsers for 6 years already, can't believe a highly requested feature of a simple Web Standard takes so long for Microsoft to implement. Inability like this makes me wish Edge never existed and Microsoft just stopped making web browsers altogether.

The Internet would be a more modernized and much better off if IE/Edge no longer exist and we only needed to support Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Opera.

• Chaiyot KotchapanChaiyot Kotchapan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are planning to switch all clients and future product development to Chrome because there is no SSE support on Microsoft browsers.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSE is very useful (and simpler than WebSockets) for broadcasting updates to clients. Would be very helpful to have it supported in Edge.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base