How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Server-Sent Events (EventSource)

Enables push notifications from the server received as DOM events.

http://dev.w3.org/html5/eventsource/

4,813 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT]Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

79 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • bobbob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why god its always ms the bad student of the earth .. under consideration ,seriously ?...

• Fumio SagawaFumio Sagawa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have the server send and write useless programs by polling. Key features in Web applications.

• paul.toyopaul.toyo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These big doors called SSE need to be open quickly, there is not much to consider. SignalR is a workaround but still just a workaround to functionality that competition already have.

• Bryson ThillBryson Thill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty surprised that Microsoft Edge still does not support SSE. :/ Any updates on when this is going to roll out?

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be hugely useful. Supported by all other browsers!

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSE is a really nice technology that all modern browsers should support! I expect the promising Microsoft Edge to support SSE and give developers the chance to build cross-browser real-time web apps.

• Patrice Castet [Aqsitania]Patrice Castet [Aqsitania] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I just realize that even Edge does not support server-sent events, which is a very useful feature of standard HTML5, I find that unbelievable in 2015 !
        Come on Microsoft guys ! Implement it now ! At least in Edge ! (IE 11 also ?)
        At this time we tell ALL our customers to switch either to Firefox or to Chrome in order to have a modern UI ... What a pity, that's part of what should be the standard ! Stop being behind the competition !

• Juan PedroJuan Pedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSE should be implemented in Microsoft Edge, it is a nice functionality very useful for business. In my current project we make use of it, and should be nice to add IE to our supported Browsers.

• Bo LorentsenBo Lorentsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also the polyfill needs to use XDomainRequest, and not ordinary XHR, and that is really ugly and needs a special not standard solutions on the server side (missing header support and no cookies are send).

So, please consider proper SSE support, at least in edge !

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I ditched Websockets in my app because they were not reliable and just too much for my app and replaced them with SSE. I installed Windows 10 and opened my app in Ms Edge and had found that there are no EventSource object. I'm very dissapointed

• 01es01es commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSE is extremely important for many business use cases. Currently, we have to resort to polyfills, but would definitely like to see native support for SSE in Edge.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add support for SSE! Otherwise Edge will be a superhero on crutches (that is, it needs polyfils to work properly).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add SSE support: a lot of our applications use SSE and my company is telling to all clients to use other browsers.

• KeithKeith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSE the only thing that will help developers on shared hosting actually still be able to build great apps without long polling , something so simple can allow people who do not have vps' and fancy servers to still enhance their dev experience and user experience.

• Phyo ArkarPhyo Arkar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we had built http://phwa.be using eventsource because it is far much stable than websocket in bad connection environment and for an interactive , responsive web app like chatrooms, websocket is overkill.
        On our tests , Evensource is pure winner in
        - High latency environment
        - Ease of Development and maintenance (Evensource implementation in python/tornado is only 10 lines of code , from scratch)
        - Eventsource JavaScript API is very powerful with support for event_ids , event_types .
        So SSE is very important for Interactive web.

Feedback and Knowledge Base