How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

WebP image format support

WebP is an image format that provides lossless and lossy compression for images on the web.

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/riff_container

5,115 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT]Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jamison PhillipsJamison Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The MS browsers are the last hold-out preventing the widespread use of webp INSTEAD OF jpeg and png. If MS would support webp, web developers could save all images in a single format rather than having to fiddle with swapping images. Not only is the format greatly superior to JPG and PNG, saving huge amounts of bandwidth and time, not having to swap the images around with server-side tricks because MS won't support webp would allow for faster loading of web pages and better caching on CDNs. As it stands now, if I want to cache my HTML files and support WebP (for lightning fast page loads), I have to either use a CDN that supports automatic WebP, redirect my users to an alternate page with WebP links, or not cache the HTML. It is very simple to add WebP support, and there is no good reason not to.

• Phake NickPhake Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Weren't "Any Edge to WebKit differences are considered bugs"? Then shouldn't it be a bug?
        2. Chrome and Safari would most probably have supported APNG if the proposal to add this into libpng is not rejected. Discussions of this is still available on the internet

• Ricardo De la GarzaRicardo De la Garza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WebP is a wonderful way to reduce image file size. We use widely as an alternative to PDF. Because it requires less resources to render images in mobiles.

Apple has plans to support Webp on Safari.

The Question is:
        Does Microsoft has intention to support Webp?

• JeshuaJeshua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

APNG is smaller than WebP and based on existing algorithms which used in PNG.
        APNG as format is a main enemy for Google and MS because they want to promote their format.
        Actually there's lot of things where APNG is an optimal solution, and main is a GIF replacement.
        Corporations like Google and MS don not want good alternatives for GIF except MPEG and WebM/WebP for animated images because with their format they can tie you down to their infrastructure and put vendors on royalties.

WebP have nothing revolutionary which PNG/APNG can't. If we're talking about Google format in MS Edge, so where's JPEG XR in Google Chrome? JPEG XR way better than any other, but I don't see army of MS fanboys attacking Google.

PNG always can be optimized and ever improved as format, so there's no need in another Rambus.

• Jake BrumbyJake Brumby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jeshua You miss the point. WebP is an image format, not a video format. WebP images are typically 30-60% smaller than a JPEG equivalent, therefore WebP is able to make web pages load significantly faster. The primary requirement for WebP browser support is to provide a better alternative to JPEG, which currently accounts for most of all images served on the web.

WebP is usually smaller than PNG too but not always.

WebP animated images are often smaller than animated GIF but the strength of WebP is not in its animated images, it is as a replacement for static images.

You mention APNG, which is for animations only (and is typically 10-30% smaller than animated GIF). Yes, it would be great if Edge had APNG support but that is a different topic and not appropriate to be discussed in this thread.

I suggest you remove your comment from this thread.

• JeshuaJeshua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WebP is a Google-owned format with aim to replace MPEG-LA formats and help Google to conquer the web.
        Google formats must be with Google, not with web.
        APNG is a much more needed as backward-compatible and secure (due to it's simplicity) format.
        All other tasks leave to video formats.

• Jake BrumbyJake Brumby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WebP is way better than other image formats and other browsers are supporting it. How about Edge? Let's make the web faster!

• Stephen PearceStephen Pearce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using webp in production for a few months now with noticeable perceived performance and total request size gains.

The <picture> element can be used to provide fallbacks, but it sure would be nice for webp to be green across the board. Edge has a chance to lead with Chrome and Opera here.

• David AkinciDavid Akinci commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use webp (for jpg and png) on a daily basis in our web design framework and it saves up to 80% bandwidth when browsers support the file extension. It's pathetic to see Windows complaining about the fall of Windows Edge. Not strange when they are always years behind the technical reality of the day!

• StephSteph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even the Firefox browser is getting this and politics at Mozilla prevented that for ages. It doesn't look good when Microsoft has to catch up to this dinosaur. Please add WebP support ASAP.

Please note that I have a very low opinion of Google so this isn't a request from a "fanboi". The technology behind this image format is solid. I use it extensively for my own image collection due to the significant savings in file sizes. You can basically triple the number of images that can be saved in cloud storage accounts without any real degradation in image quality. Now imagine bandwidth savings, load time savings, and so on. It's very impressive.

Please try to be practical about it, Microsoft.

• Max StepinMax Stepin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Michael Klöpzig
        Trying it with APNG is always a good idea: you get smaller size than GIF consistently, while WebP results can be all over the map.

Try converting this GIF:
        https://dribbble.com/shots/2389999-Trefoil
        APNG: 20% smaller than GIF.
        Lossless WebP: bigger than GIF, so what's the point?
        Lossy WebP: don't even bother, complete fail.

• Michael KlöpzigMichael Klöpzig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@NoToGooglocracy
        This is ridiculous. I'm seeing size reduction of at least 30% with highly optimized pngs. And that's with webp-lossless. With a reasonably lossy setting it goes down to way below half of the png's size, in some cases 90% less bytes. Try to do that with apng.
        It's Googles interest to make the web fast because it serves their purpose. You can criticize them for a lot of things, but this is something I can support.

• NoToGooglocracyNoToGooglocracy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

APNG is a much better choice. Optimised PNG's are much better than WebP - Google manipulates the data by comparing against unoptimised PNG's which are usually 2-4 times larger.
        They just want to take over everything related to computers and put MS out of business

• GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WebP lossless compression is much better than PNG!
        This is the best format right now for lossless, and Edge should support it!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base