How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

WebP image format support

WebP is an image format that provides lossless and lossy compression for images on the web.

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/riff_container

6,644 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

57 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must for composable backgrounds, like free-form overlays on top of gradients. PNG alternative can be 10x(!) heavier.

• bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

add it please , you have to reconize google genius as a fact lol

• Luke McDougald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be super nice as the compatibility between WebP and WebM invites some interesting applications

• Don Engel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my advocacy for WebP. Supporting it would be trivial to bake in; resistance is the same sort of IE6-level politicial ridiculousness that caused IE to lose the browser wars the FIRST time. Don't make the same mistake twice.

• Benjamin Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kindly advocating support for WebP, even as a Google technology it benefits developers tenfold if we have the ability to implement a progressive image format alongside other options.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For several years now, every web application I have designed has had WebP support baked in. If the browser sends an accept header indicating it supports WebP then I send WebP versions of the images. They are smaller for the same quality, which benefits people who pay for bandwidth and also makes my sites load faster in bandwidth constrained areas. When you do decide to support WebP, make sure Edge sends the same accept header that Chrome and Opera currently send.

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My favorite thing about webp's over gifs is that you can eliminate that awful white halo! One of many reasons to update from the decades old gif technology.

• Oliver Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once this ships in Firefox and Safari I'm giving your users a background-color rather than a background-image. Sad

• Jamison Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The MS browsers are the last hold-out preventing the widespread use of webp INSTEAD OF jpeg and png. If MS would support webp, web developers could save all images in a single format rather than having to fiddle with swapping images. Not only is the format greatly superior to JPG and PNG, saving huge amounts of bandwidth and time, not having to swap the images around with server-side tricks because MS won't support webp would allow for faster loading of web pages and better caching on CDNs. As it stands now, if I want to cache my HTML files and support WebP (for lightning fast page loads), I have to either use a CDN that supports automatic WebP, redirect my users to an alternate page with WebP links, or not cache the HTML. It is very simple to add WebP support, and there is no good reason not to.

• Phake Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Weren't "Any Edge to WebKit differences are considered bugs"? Then shouldn't it be a bug?
        2. Chrome and Safari would most probably have supported APNG if the proposal to add this into libpng is not rejected. Discussions of this is still available on the internet

• Ricardo De la Garza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WebP is a wonderful way to reduce image file size. We use widely as an alternative to PDF. Because it requires less resources to render images in mobiles.

Apple has plans to support Webp on Safari.

The Question is:
        Does Microsoft has intention to support Webp?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base