How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Web SQL Database

API exposing a SQLite database.

http://www.w3.org/TR/webdatabase/

270 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Sampson [MSFT]Jonathan Sampson [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Company is now targeting non-Microsoft browser client for business applications because of this limitation with MS browser. Since sqlite is now a supported windows component, could you please surface it through Edge

• SeanSean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WebSQL is far better then indexDB for server to client sync. Please add so we can start building hybrids for Windows apps that can work offline and not have to maintain two db engines for other platforms

• Olle BrömsOlle Bröms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is awesome. I've used it on one of my hobby sites and the performance, functionality and implementation wise is outstanding. Works in most of the commerical browsers like Chrome, Safari, iOS (safari) and Android (Chrome). Here is an example what I used it for https://mtg.zone/

The reason I went for this feature is the lack of full text implementation in Indexeddb.

• Simon PapworthSimon Papworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have worked with both - And my Offline Web Apps work better with WebSQL than IndexDB. Hey if IndexDB was good enough, then I would use a NOSQL system instead of SQL Server.

WebSQL = Less Javascript "for loops", Fast data retrieval, Less code to clean stale data from tables.

Did you known that all programing languages can be expressed as "decrement <memory location> jump not zero" and all WebSQL statements can be expressed with IndexDB - However computer science is trying to create abstractions that enable software engineers to safely build the systems of tomorrow.

• Marius KjeldahlMarius Kjeldahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, adding WebSQL would be a very good thing. People can shout IndexedDB as much as they want, but the reality is that it is still not usable across all major platforms (Safari, iOS, *cough*). And until is really is usable across all major platforms, it's hard to say how solid it actually is. Based on my testing the last couple of years, I can honestly say "not very solid". In addition, supporting WebSQL also make it a lot easier to write "cross platform" apps that run both in browsers _and_ "natively" on mobiles, as SQLite is used at least on iOS and Android (with common data models and data manipulation code).

• SchizoDuckieSchizoDuckie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that the craze around NoSQL has died down a bit, and even most of the hipsters realizing there is nothing wrong with a simple, proper ACID relational database and SQL to query it, I think it's time the IE team acknowledges that WebSQL is here to stay.

Even if you don't dust off the standard and get the W3 to reconsider the deprecated flag, IE adoption and cross platform (AND DEVICE!) development will benefit from the current spec.

A quick and dirty GitHub search shows 161.000 [1] results for indexedDB.open versus 199.000 [2] results for openDatabase. It's time both Mozilla and Microsoft accept that WebSQL is here to stay and actively used in the wild on millions of devices each day.

WebSQL adoption has matured in Javascript. We now have frameworks that automate sql queries, migrations, ORMS, and it is a LOT less buggy than the differnent vendor's implementations of IndexedDB.

For me as a developer adding WebSQL support to IE will mean that I can finally deploy my application on all MS platforms as well, not just on webkit.

[1] https://github.com/search?l=javascript&q=indexedDB.open&ref=searchresults&type=Code&utf8=%E2%9C%93

[2] https://github.com/search?l=javascript&q=openDatabase&ref=searchresults&type=Code&utf8=%E2%9C%93

• Greg the DevGreg the Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please support WebSQL in IE. I've also worked on projects where IE use has been deprecated because it doesn't support it. IndexDB for my past projects would have been a non-starter. Now that Microsoft is beginning to become open to ideas that don't perfectly mesh with its business interests, it's time to include it. FireFox made a blindingly bad error in omitting it, but then we've been advising users not to use FF for a while now.

Company is now targeting non-Microsoft browser client for business applications because of this limitation with MS browser.

I agree with what Rodrigo said. It's being abandoned because everybody used the same SQL vendor, but not because the idea is bad. Try working with IndexedDB for highly relational data...

• Rodrigo Pedra BrumRodrigo Pedra Brum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually it "is no longer in active maintenance" as "all interested implementors have used the same SQL backend (Sqlite)". If MS embraces WebSQL implementing it with a different backend the specification should be reconsidered. I vote for adding it.

http://www.w3.org/TR/webdatabase/

Feedback and Knowledge Base