How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Native WebM

4,946 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SteveGSteveG shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like that Microsoft advertises Edge when it STILL cannot play webm. I get "invalid source" while every other browser can play webm just fine. Like people before me have said, it's a deal breaker.

• Justin DynamicDJustin DynamicD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding m voice that until it can run basic .webm behind a video tag it's not really supported. It's a smooth browser otherwise, but this is litterally a deal breaker for many many people.

• Diego OrellanaDiego Orellana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I only use chrome for two things, WebM and AdBlock ... 2016 and still waiting for the WebM. Both PC and my Lumia.

• Calvin WaltonCalvin Walton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the current preview versions of Edge, you can use webm media via MSE (Media Source Extensions), but you cannot simply reference a webm file directly in a <video> or <audio> tag. It would be nice if this could be added as well - for many applications with a single unencrypted file, MSE is overkill.

Opening a webm file directly in the browser - e.g. if it's loaded via a direct link to a file - should work as well.

• DHenDHen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's 2016 and WebMs are still not working in microsoft edge. Extremely EXTREMELY dissapointed in Microsoft. This is simple stuff guys... If you still wonder why people prefer Firefox/Chrome you need to fire the entire corporation and start from scratch. Seriously unacceptable and embarassing.

• RonRon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to see you guys are working on this. Any idea when it may be done?

• Matthias HädrichMatthias Hädrich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why don't they add this from the beginning? Microsoft does not understand how the Internet works these days. No extensions, no webms, no adblock.

• Paul EPaul E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will there be an option to disable WebM support so that I'll get hardware accelerated H.264 instead that won't drain my battery?

• John LutherJohn Luther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great news. Any insight on which codecs will be supported? VP8, VP9, Vorbis, Opus?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Congratulations, and thanks. This is great to hear, and major step towards interoperable, patent-free video standards. With MS on board, that leaves Webkit as the feature outlier here. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Jay TuckeyJay Tuckey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is so good to see support for this being worked on! Is it too early to ask for a vague ETA? :)

• Alexander OvchinnikovAlexander Ovchinnikov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good example of bad corporations and their ugly politics. webm is open standart. And h.264 is not (I'm sure, some companies earn money on that and pay Microsoft & Apple and ask to help them stop webm).

This bug is good reason why we should not use Microsoft Edge or IE and Apple Safari. They will not implement it...

So sabotage it. Do not use IE & Safari until they implement this and another open standards, help your friends install Firefox..

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base