How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Please, make a good javascript console that can really aid in the debugging process.

108 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris Love commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a Debug tab that is very powerful. Glancing at the comments it seems most of you want what is in the debugger, not the console.

• Michal Kovařík commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be honest. I absolutely hate working with Edges and/or Visual Studio console (they're basically the same). There's no stacktrace, no details, no nothing. Just random generic errors without any helpful description which makes developing app for Windows a nightmare.

Chrome has perfect console. Make it just like that

PS: don't put line numbers on new line!

• Steven Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Full disclosure, I'm talking about IE11 dev tools here. I don't have Edge yet. Maybe some of this is cleaned up :-)

My thoughts:
        1. I think chrome has gotten it right by having the console experience be similar to a command line or terminal. You type inline, so it feels logical to do things like create a var and then use that var in the next line. I use this all the time for testing things. I set a breakpoint and then when it hits, I go to the console and check values of local variables. This process is much more fluid and powerful in chrome. It bugs me that in IE you have to type down at the bottom line. For one thing, it's harder to get your cursor down there and click on that single line, so it's a constant annoyance for me. I know you can put it in multi-line mode, but then it's more annoying to submit a command with ctrl+enter, when you're so used to just hitting enter.

2. Related to #1, I feel like the console output is often information overload in IE. If I look at a jQuery element in the console, I don't want to see every property that is set to it's default value. I want to see details on the tag, and on the primary values that web devs usually care about (id, classes, data attributes, href, children). Weeding through 100 blank or null attributes/values drives me nuts in IE. I just want to see what the tag looks like, with all the attributes that I've modified, and I end up going over to DOM Explorer and finding it there when I would rather just stay in the console.

• Prehistoricman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basically the line where you type should be an IDE. It should have 4 space tabs, syntax error checking and syntax highlighting. This would make the console so nice to work with.

• Joel Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suspect they wish it works similar to the Chrome javascript console. In Chrome, it's possible to edit the javascript directly, and have it re-run with those edits in place. It makes it quite a bit faster to debug things when making small changes.

• David Stephens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I work on the console. Always looking for ways to make it better! How is the current console getting in your way? What sorts of improvements are you picturing?

Feedback and Knowledge Base