How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Update CSS Grid

Update the IE implementation of Grid Layout to match the current spec. The current implementation from the IE 10 days is outdated.

2,681 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mnsthmnsth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jack BondJack Bond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Microsoft strapped for cash? At the very least, SOMEONE on the team should update the status on an annual basis. Truly embarrassing.

• Rudolph GottesheimRudolph Gottesheim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a mistake that this is "on the backlog", and not "working on it", right? Forgot to update the status? All other vendors are shipping unprefixed grid implementations in the coming weeks.

• Abdellah AlaouiAbdellah Alaoui commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you hover over ON THE BACKLOG, you'll see : "this idea is on the backlog - updated over 1 year ago"
        So, thank you internet explorer (edge) for everything ...
        I'm considering putting this in my website for edge users " Don't use Edge, they suck ! "

• Evan PayneEvan Payne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please bump this. I just saw Rachel Andrew give a talk about this feature, and it will really change the way we develop sites. I'd hate for us to be unable to use it due to Edge users, especially given how great a job you guys have been doing in creating a modern browser. Thanks!

• KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an industry standard waiting to happen. Please, make sure it's supported by every major browser!

• LukeLuke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was surprising to see MS11 implement grid as the first browser, so don't let Edge repeat the old IE mistakes by falling hard behind the competition and dragging the entire industry down.

• Stephanie SuarezStephanie Suarez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CSS Grid would be even more beneficial for your international customers. For instance, the grid would be immensely helpful for Japan's web development and other countries that usually write from top to bottom

• OnurOnur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ignoring this any longer will reduce the overall market share of Edge further.

• Rebecca WatsonRebecca Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please prioritize upgrading CSS grid to the latest specifications this year, so by 2018 all browsers are following the same standards. For website strategy and planning purposes, it would also be nice to know an approximate release date. Thanks.

• Chris WileyChris Wiley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I happen to like MS Edge. I think it is a very good browser. But I also want it to stay up-to-date with the current specs. MS Edge will lose its edge if it starts to lag in standards.

• Ilya StreltsynIlya Streltsyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems that all other browsers are going to ship Grid Layout next spring (Firefox and Chrome are planning to ship it in March, and there are speculations that Safari would ship it nearly the same time). How great would it be if all 4 major browsers start support Grid Layout at once!

Also it would be great if all browsers start support display:contents (https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/257854-microsoft-edge-developer/suggestions/10938981-implement-the-box-generation-keywords-from-css-dis) along with Grid Layout. It makes Grid Layout applicable to much more use cases without need to make the markup less semantic. Firefox has already shipped it, Chrome is implementing it now and there are chances that it will ship it at the same time as Grid. Millions of web developers will be really happy if both features would become available in Edge at the same time!

• Geoff SchwartzGeoff Schwartz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A standardised, strongly supported Flexbox and CSS grid are the two most important pieces needed in modern browsers for simple web design and layout.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base