How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

Update CSS Grid

Update the IE implementation of Grid Layout to match the current spec. The current implementation from the IE 10 days is outdated.

8,734 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mnsth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

222 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jen Simmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Microsoft for making CSS Grid happen. For working on the spec. For shipping the early implementation back when IE10 was new.

Firefox shipped Grid last week. Chrome shipped it today. And Safari will ship it very soon. It honestly makes me sad that Microsoft missed the boat, and isn't shipping right now as well. From the looks of things, other priorities have pushed out updating your implementation of Grid. I hope you can change that very soon, and get Grid out the door.

You worked so hard in 2010-2015 to improve the reputation of your browser. You even renamed it! And now, the biggest feature to ship in CSS in recent memory, and your browser is once again behind. I don't want people to curse you anymore! I want your amazing team to be proud of the great work they've done. And get credit! I want you to ship Grid, too. Soon. Well, as soon as you can.

• Sam Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to have the updated Grid spec in Edge so there's true cross-browser compatibility with Grid now that the spec-compliant Firefox and Google implementations are out! Thanks!

• David Pavlicko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Microsoft dev team! Thanks for all your hard work over the last few years - let's keep it going with fast support of the new Grid spec. The web dev community thanks you in advance!

• Robert DiBlasi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MicroSoft Developers: You have the wonderful Edge Browser ( Great work getting off the ground and marketing to the developer community. I would like to request an update to a layout feature that is in Egde.

Please update the CSS Grid to the latest W3C spec. The spec is stable and I , along with others, would really like to see Burt Bos's inspired work bloom in the Edge Browser. It would really help make development of 2D Grid Based Layouts much more robust for business use cases and keep the Edge Browser and MicroSoft in the forefront of Web based Browser capabilities.

Thank you for all your hard work.Building such world class technology is not easy, but the development community supports you.

Thank you for listening.
        Now it's your turn to help and shin :-)

• Asbjørn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can this possibly still be under consideration?! Chrome and Firefox shipped the final version this week. What have you actually been doing for the last 6 months? Adding Web Payments and other useless things rather than focusing on core layout features like this that are actually useful.
        Given your glacial update pace, we'll now have to wait another 6 months before you maybe just do something.

• Patrick Proulx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let's go Microsoft - wasn't Grid your spec to begin with? Better keep up or your browser market share will continue slipping.

• Robin Munn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The MS developer team has posted links to their status page for most of the other suggestions, but they seem to have missed this one. The status of the CSS grid update can be seen here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/status/gridupdate/

Its status is currently (as of March 7, 2017) listed as "Under Consideration", and no roadmap priority is currently visible.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reply from "Microsoft Edge Developer UserVoice" that indicates this request has high priority on their backlog is 18 months old! So, we can assume low priority tickets will be addressed around the year 2050! :P

• Ev Donley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got Grid? Great! Got the latest spec? No. :( C'mon Edge, keep up. Work with us to keep the web moving forward.

• Steve Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Safari and firefox are going live in March / April so you'll need to get a move on!

• Steve Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Safari and firefox are going live in March / April so you'll need to get a I've on!

Feedback and Knowledge Base