How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

1,909 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • cg199082 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Babylon.js v3.2 is already support part of webgl2.0 functions,is that indicates some webgl2.0 functions is necessary ? so why not just support it ? the progress of gpuweb draft is so slow and time-consuming,cannot count on it.

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need those FBO's available for everyone, not by extension, but natively. Please. Please. Please.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't make this another "IE6"-style disaster where everyone is doing weird fallbacks just for edge. Seriously. It's getting mid 2018 and there is still not a sign from the developers.

Just sad.

• Raf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great to have this to be able to play 3D browser games!

• Graphics User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS needs to add WebGL 2.0 and to support faster performance using ArrayBuffers. Currently my benchmarks show about a 10X slower performance result

Every other browser has support for this, and you are still "considering" it? What are you considering, whether the internett is still a viable platform?!

Well, I think it is about time we start considering whether Microsoft is still a viable platform.

• Luke McDougald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WebGL 2.0 should be implemented as soon as possible in order to allow PWAs using 3D rendering to only require one rendering code path.

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would really be nice to have continuity between the mobile version and desktop version.
        Please get webGL 2.0 and CSS grid etc.. on the desktop.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm shocked I can't even get extensions for using some WebGL 2 type features in WebGL 1. I assume the whole point of extensions is just that - to extend (not fully implemented). I can't even use Visual Studio 2017 to debug TypeScript using the Edge browser (works in IE11!) and now this - I can't even debug WebGL 2 properly in IE11 since it is not supported (nor in Edge), and since debugging in Chrome doesn't always hit breakpoints (usually never), I'm stuck running Chrome from VS to use the Chrome built-in debugger!!! In 2017!!! VS is not worth the many thousands people pay for it with such lack of keeping up with the times, and lack of keeping up support to debug in their own latest browsers! Looks like my release notes will also have to advertise to keep away from IE (I need multiple framebuffer outputs, and it won't be possible with IE). WebGL 2+ is becoming a big thing - don't get left behind again, coming in late, like you did in the mobile/tablet world. Gaming is a big industry, so don't drag your heels. IE will lose more market share because of it.

C'mon guys, it is nearly the end of 2017. I guess I just have to put "Use any browser but Microsoft's" in my release notes. Good heavens...

• Joseph Orbegoso Pea (Joe Pea) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice for Edge to get caught up to Firefox and Chrome. Can you get more devs on the team? Firefox and Chrome always release new features much ahead of IE (and now Edge). Although I think Edge is doing much better than IE was, it still feels like it is laggin behind. It would be nice when new awesome feature X comes out that Edge is one of the first to have it, or has it relatively soon after the first, like FF and Chrome.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base