How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

headless browser for testing

It would be great if IE could be started as a headless browser (like PhantomJS) for running unit tests, taking screenshots, measuring load time, etc without having a browser window pop up. Running automated tests on IE often fails because the browser either fails to start up or shut down properly. With a headless browser multiple browser instances can be run in parallel without taking up screen space.

1,737 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Marius Gundersen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jonathan Dodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seeming that Azure DevOps supports automated UI testing using Selenium and that this is a request since 2014, surely some response from Microsoft is overdue?!

• Izzyonstage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Typical MS Wandos...
    Make the browser core to the OS and still refuse to give even the most basic of developer requirements an ear.
    90% of dev today is web based.
    Why is MS intent on refusing the dev community from testing with the native browser????????

• Gary Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please keep in mind that I use Microsoft tools daily and am a fan of most their applications and IDEs. To the point:
    Microsoft itself, stated in court when accused of monopolizing the Web Browser market with IE bundled in the OS that browsers were the future of Operating Systems and without coupling the browser with the OS they could lose future market share. I think that Microsoft could take back a large part of its lost market share by making their browser run headless and fixing the xPath issues, along with a few other items I am sure that they are aware of. The fact that it is bundled with the OS alone should make it more popular as its accessibility could be a major factor, if it simply kept up with its competition.

• Morten Bjoernsvik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really surprised headless is still not supported for Edge. To run scheduled automatic tests on a CI system, jenkins, teamcity, travis etc. where you do not have a graphic console. Headless is needed. Both Firefox and Chrome have had it for years. Result we test on FF and Chrome and not Edge. Result People using Edge feels Edge being immature and switch to Chrome instead.

• Mike Poz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously. Why is this NOT already a thing?

I spent four years working on the IE team back when I was a blue badge and we would have jumped on this if it was a thing back then.

• Syam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

parallel execution and headless would be of great help

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to give Edge the same level of testing attention as Chrome and Firefox

• GJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will the capability to run Edge tests in Headless mode be implemented in the future?

• Marek Andreánsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems Edge wins in Selenium speed tests yet running 10 opened windows seems like overkill headless would be a blessing.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a major disappointment that this feature is missing from Edge (and IE). It's crippling for testing. We cannot, and will not attempt, to put Edge or IE in our pipeline without this feature.

• Dattatray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why this is still being ignored, does Edge/IE will ever support headless mode ?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base