How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

full feature support for Indexeddb

IE support only basic feature of IndexedDB specification http://www.w3.org/TR/IndexedDB/. Data intensive web app using full specification are not able to run on IE. Specifically missing feature are compound index, complex key path, multiEntry index and storing blob.

472 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kyaw TunKyaw Tun shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RinsheedRinsheed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I am facing a weird issue related to indexeddb. I have a function that gets the records from the indexeddb. It works fine while I call it from the console or by binding the function call to an element using jquery.click.

But when I bind the same element using jquery.bind, it crashes. Its in iPad safari 10 & 11.

I tried in so many ways, which includes, binding the element without calling the indexeddb related functions, and then there was no issues.

jquery.bind combined with indexeddb in ipad safari 10 will definitely cause this issue.

I tried in windows tab too, and there was no issue.

One more thing, it crashes in the request.onsuccess event. On hitting that line, it instantly crashed.

And what amused me is that it works fine in using jquery.click.

But I need jquery.bind, because i need to bind other events in this element.

Please help.........

• JoeJoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can Microsoft update the status page? Safari has full support for these features, but the status page indicates that it is not supported in Safari. It would also be helpful to update your MSDN documentation on IndexedDB to indicate that Edge and IE do not currently support these features. It is really confusing to only partially support an HTML5 spec and not indicate that in your documentation.

Compound indexes are one of the most powerful features of IndexedDB. I am currently working on a web application that requires the use of compound indexes for performance. So I either need to degrade the user experience for everyone by not using compound indexes or drop support for Edge. The lack of this feature is a detriment to web developers (as well as cross platform developers using Apache Cordova). Ultimately that will lead to less sites and applications supporting Edge or Windows which will lead to less users on those platforms unless the lack of support is rectified.

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on guys - this is nuts you don't have this fixed yet. It's been years. Safari has gone from WebSQL, which you never had - have removed it, introduced their horrible bug in their implementation of indexeddb and have already fixed that. MS is moving the slowest of any browser on this - and it's been years now I've been up voting this issue...

Feedback and Knowledge Base