How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

inprivate command line switch

I want to open edge from a command line in inprivate mode and also want a setting that allows me to make all tabs that open inprivate

691 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • myusrn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@dan [ and others ] when i execute the command in article you mention "start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge -private" it just opens existing instance if present, or new instance if not, of edge with tab containing default search engine "-private" results output. The closest I've been able to come to the edge ctrl+shift+p new all InPrivate mode instance of edge experience from a command line is using "start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge & sleep 1 & start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge about:InPrivate". Not optimal because its just a separate instance with an InPrivate tab open but any/all new tabs are regular mode tabs because the instance of edge is not the InPrivate mode instance.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on adding the -nomerge option of Internet Explorer. I have to login to Azure portal with different accounts, so sharing sessions between browsers is risky for us.

• Eduardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The -nomerge of Internet Explorer is very useful. It should be included too.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see this implemented so I can launch an inprivate session from visual studio for easier isolated testing.

• sreenivas chedde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like it too. Plan to have it as default. Support multiple switches such as "-incognito" "-inprivate" etc.

• Klaus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to open edge from a command line in inprivate mode and also want a setting that allows me to make all tabs that open inprivate

• Grue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some users (e.g. me) only use browsers which have an in-private command line switch. Having an in-private command line switch allows to have both in-private and non-in-private shortcuts. I currently use IE, Firefox and Chrome and would like to include Edge in the arsenal. But only when and if it gets an in-private command line switch or something similar. So I suggest adding the switch for competitive reasons.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to open edge from a command line in inprivate mode and also want a setting that allows me to make all tabs that open inprivate. Any other browser can do this.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was able to open Internet explorer in private. I would like to do the same with edge. Please update.

Feedback and Knowledge Base