How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

background-blend-mode

Provides a way to blend background images, colors, and gradients together.

1,755 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Justin McDowell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • James Stephens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very needed feature to produce a lossless website. I can't stand bouncing back to my designers and having them have to add filters over images and loading those in IE and Edge specifically. I also refuse to throw a bunch of hacky css in there to make it work on your browsers. This is important for designers, developers and the users to have clean, lossless and modern web experiences. Please implement asap.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are holding us back and making us use nasty workarounds like transparent overlays that just don't work well with a variety of images. How hard is this really to implement? Get started.

• Juston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this. As a web developer, there are basic features like background-blend-mode that are painfully missing from Edge. I'm sure you're busy people, but there needs to be more movement on improving Edge to catch up with the other browsers. Please work on this.

• Euan Fitzpatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

April 2018. Coming up for 3 years after it went on the backlog.

Please tell me that the front of the backlog is making Edge actually function properly?

We expect internet explorer to be awful, but we actually held some hope for Edge because it was marketed as a strong competitor for Firefox and Chrome. Ha, I laugh in your face as I should have back then.

• Susie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Created a new Divi website and one of their features is to offer background blend (colour over image). It's an awesome feature and looks amazing on my site but unfortunately when you view the site in IE the colour is missing. www.fingerprintfun.com Shame... I'll have to go fix the site with Photoshop images. Noticed this was first bought to your attention in September 2015, do you think you will ever look into this issue?

• George Baggaley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still nothing in 2018? I've said it before and I'll say it again, Microsoft Edge makes my life as a web developer ****, no wonder it's hardly used even though it's the default browser!

• Euan Fitzpatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

February 2018 and STILL not supported by Edge.

I don't understand why Microsoft even bother making a browser when it's miles behind even the likes of Safari.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop holding back the web development,as 20 if years of infamous IE were not enough!

• Panayiotis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

background-blend-mode is must have. I cannot believe that such a great feature is not supported from a new browser.

• Lars Kwiatkowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is wrong with MS. I thought, the times of browser wars are over and there is a commitment now between all Companies. So why this is still not available?

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly, why do you guys keep making a browser? You can't keep up with *anyone* else.

Was two years not enough to implement this? Other browsers supported this eons ago. How can your internal processes be so broken that something like this slips through the cracks for over *TWO* years?

• Jonah Sullivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, guys? Two years with no movement? Many of us understand that software is hard, and that these things take time, but wouldn't it be better for M$ to pull the plug and invest elsewhere than spend another two decades developing yet another snowflake, also-ran browser? Meanwhile, they're hyping it to the point of ridiculousness, stealing market share from standards-compliant competitors and making life hard for other software developers by foisting yet another round of 'Engineer for Everything Else, fix for IE' on us.

Some folks never learn, I guess.

• Nico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been years and it's implemented in any other browser. It's about time to ship this feature.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base