Microsoft Edge Developer

Hi, are you a web developer or designer?

“No, I just want to share feedback on Microsoft Edge.”

Please use the Feedback Hub (requires Windows 10) to submit your feedback in the Microsoft Edge category. This site is for web developer and designer feedback only. Other feedback will be closed without action.

“Yes, I’m a web developer or designer with feedback for the Microsoft Edge platform.”

Great! This site is where the Microsoft Edge team collects feature requests from the web developer and designer community in the categories listed to the right. For bugs on existing features, please log an issue on the Issue Tracker.

Your feedback will help us with planning and to better understand how web developers and designers are using the platform. Top standards-based feature requests will also be copied over to status.microsoftedge.com, where you can track its development status.

For the most actionable feedback, please search and up vote for existing suggestions before submitting a new suggestion, and create a separate suggestion per idea. Note that off topic or inappropriate suggestions may be moderated. The Microsoft Edge team will use suggestions as an important input, but there are several additional factors that inform the final roadmap.

A note from our lawyers: Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the Terms of Service for more information.

How can we improve the Microsoft Edge developer experience?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support browser_url_overrides to allow customized net tab page, etc. (since users can't set their own choice of new tab page...)

Edge currently offers very few options for controlling the new tab experience, and the ones it does have are... not popular, judging by the Windows Insider feedback. Allowing extensions to override things like New Tab page would simultaneously address this concern and allow more Chrome extensions to be ported, making Edge a much nicer browser to use.

958 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    108 comments  ·  Extensions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ask Hola extension maker which makes this extension for google chrome, firefox, etc., also make the extension available for microsoft edge

Hola extension is the best vpn service provider I have used so far. Please make this extension available for microsoft edge as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please reconsider how Edge and IE react to an OK: 204 response. IMHO this is not according to spec.

After receiving a http 204: OK, no content. Edge still is waiting for something to arrive although the spec states that no content is to be expectedd

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  HTML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Implement Web Share API

Web Share API landed on Chrome for Android in version 61. It's a neat way of providing native sharing hooks to a web app.

Example code: https://gist.github.com/bogas04/50eae983a9b478e172a22bb9fce9c77e
    API Spec: https://wicg.github.io/web-share/
    Explainer: https://github.com/WICG/web-share/blob/master/docs/explainer.md

217 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Address bar at bottom in Edge for Android / iOS

Please create the possibility to display the address bar at the bottom.

The handling would be made much easier and the browser could be operated with one hand. Alternatively you can take the function Home from the Chrome as an example.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Miscellaneous  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. UX

I'd like to volunteer to be a part of the Edge user experience, product engineering, design team. I am passionate about continuous improvement and feel that I could be of great use to the MS team. While I don't have formal training in UX, it appears that hasn't been a requirement thus far. I believe in MS and it's potential in creating a robust browser and sure if applications that will rival Google; I'm just not sure what's taking so long. I have uninstalled or disabled all Google products from my laptop and mobile phone but only made it 2…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Microsoft Edge Dev site  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Extensions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Asynchronous Clipboard API

The clipboard spec now has an asynchronous API [2] which is significantly more ergonomic than past clipboard APIs – it avoids various issues that the old document.execCommand("copy") approach had, and is much easier to use:

navigator.clipboard.writeText("hello world").then(...);

IE 9/10/11 shipped an unstandardized API for copying text or URLs to the clipboard. Edge shipped an older version of the draft standard clipboard/editing-spec-based-API [1], but it has numerous bugs and inconsistencies [2] that even *make it impossible to tell if the attempted copy action has succeeded*. Existing bugs aren't seeing attention, and it seems likely to me that there are more undiscovered…

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Remove browser agent string

Remove the browser agent string since it leads to developers doing dumb browser sniffing instead of using doing things like checking if the browser supports something by trying it out.

Removing it would show also that you are pro standards when it comes to web development since developers would have to rely more on them instead of browser specific bugs.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. I want to love Edge, but I HATE it. Here is why. When I turn off location in W10, why does it contine to hound me that sites want my loc 1/3

I want to love Edge, but I HATE it. Here is why. When I turn off location in Windows 10, why does it contine to f-ing hound me that sites want my location?

If I go to full screen why does it ask me for every f-ing site if it is OK?

And lastly, I NEVER want to allow ANY site to send me notification, yet I have NO control over any of these MORONIC annoyances.

I would fire every one of your sorry, pathetic, ***** for not realizing that most people hat that ****.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. sync theme setting and change the position of 'download'

1.Please sync the theme of edge brower when I open it for the first time.Everytime reinstall windows10 I have to change theme.Why not just make it sync the theme setting and others setings(maybe),just as the 'setting ' app
    does.It would be convenient and useful.By the way,sometimes I cant scroll the cellections or bookmark page when I use touchpad.I have to use keyborad to do it.THis problem exists for a long time.PLEASE fix it.
    2.Can you put the 'download' outside the 'menu '.Just put it somewhere alone,so that we can visit it in no time.A qiuck access to 'download ' would…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow users to edit or remove issues submitted to the Edge issue tracker

after posting an issue in the issue tracker, you might notice an inaccuracy, typo or sensitive data and it'd be pretty handy to be able to fix those things.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Isolation

Used to declaratively create a new stacking context.

https://drafts.fxtf.org/compositing-1/#isolation

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  CSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Stop News Pop-ups!!!!

Stop the news pop-ups. I know where to get my news and it is NOT CONSTANTLY POPPING UP IN MY FACE!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Implement CSS `display: flow-root` (modern clearfix)

`display: flow-root` is a modern way to force a block to be a formatting context that floated elements are contained in (aka clearfix).

From the spec [1]:

> The element generates a block container box, and lays out its contents using flow layout. It always establishes a new block formatting context for its contents.

Tab Atkins and Elika Etemad (fantasai) from CSSWG consider the feature stable enough to be implemented [2].

[1] https://drafts.csswg.org/css-display-3/#valdef-display-flow-root
    [2] https://discourse.wicg.io/t/1835/6

2,012 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  CSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Implement CSS 'overscroll-behavior'

Consider implementing the new CSS overscroll-behavior property.

## Specification
    This feature specification is being incubated in WICG:
    https://wicg.github.io/overscroll-behavior/

Additional background on this feature may be found here:
    https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/769

## Summary
    CSS overscroll-behavior standardizes a supercharged version of "-ms-scroll-chaining". It allows developers to determine the browser's behavior once a scroller has reached its full extent.
    The unused delta can be propagated to the parent causing scroll chaining, create a glow/bounce effect without chaining, or just get consumed silently. In particular when used on viewport defining element, it controls if overscroll can be used for navigation actions such as pull-to-refresh or swipe…

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  CSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support Media Queries level 4 syntax improvements

CSS Media Quries Level 4 bring in a bunch of syntactic improvements. They make media queries much more readable and maintainable.

https://drafts.csswg.org/mediaqueries-4/#mq-syntax

Here's an example:

Before:

@media (min-width: 20em), not all and (min-height: 40em) {
    @media not all and (pointer: none) {

}
    }

After:

@media ((width >= 20em) or (height < 40em)) and (pointer) {

}

111 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  CSS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Give Edge at least the same functionality as the product it replaced (IE)

Put the Favourites links back into the users' favourites folder on the desktop. The current location of Edge favourites' links is utterly ridiculous - the pathway is about a page long, and clearly intended to prevent users from directly managing their bookmark links the same way we could with IE. This is ****, and if MS had any sort of interest in their clients and user base, they wouldn't make such stupid, alienating, non-consultative decisions.
    Fix this now, before we all choose Firefox instead !!!!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Give Edge at least the same functionality as the product it replaced (IE)

Put back the toolbars and users' ability to customise them. You've really buggered up your own product here. What idiot approved development of a product that doesn't have at least the same functionality as the one it replaced? Edge may run faster, but your users have to waste their own time doing simple **** like printing, which is now no longer a simple click on a single button. Edge doesn't even preselect the buttons it does have. MS, stop screwing your user base and forcing us into other user friendlier apps.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge Dev site  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Edge Developer

Feedback and Knowledge Base